Projectile Motion angled downwards

In summary, a student is struggling with a homework assignment involving projectile motion and needs help understanding the concept. They provide information about a gun being pointed downward at a 40 degree angle and the given initial velocity and mass of the bullet. They also mention the formula used to calculate the vertical and horizontal information. The student realizes their mistake and thanks the person for their help. Later, they ask for the mathematical term for the path of the bullet and explain how it is still a parabola even though it is not a typical upward or horizontal motion.
NYmike
Hello all. I am currently taking an AP Physics class in high school. My teacher has given us a homework assignment involving projectile motion, however, it is different than anything else we have done. Usually, the angle is upward, or directly horizontal...This question is downward. My textbook does not offer any examples, so I am unsure of where to go for help.

A gun is pointed down at an angle 40 degress below the horizontal. The muzzle velocity is 350 m/s and the bullets mass is 30 g. The gun is 600 m above the ground. Calculate how long it takes to hit the ground, the horizontal distance traveled, the vertical velocity as it hits the ground, ...

The mass is useless, but it's given. There is a list of 10 or so questions, but I just need help getting started. I don't want 1 error to snowball.

In a normal parabola, the final vertical velocity is the negative value of the inital vertical velocity. However...this wouldn't be a normal parabola, right? Because it's just getting shot diagonally in a downward motion.

VERTICAL:

vi = 224.98 m/s
vf = -224.98 m/s
t =
d = -600 m
a = -9.8 m/s^2 (neglect air resistance)

HORIZONTAL:

vi = 268.11 m/s
vf = 268.11 m/s
t =
d =
a = 0 m/s^2

Would that be correct for the givens? I took sin and cos of 40. I am just not sure if the final vertical velocity is correct, because I don't think it would be a parabola.

Sorry for writing so much, and thank you for any help that you can provide =D

Physics news on Phys.org
Your horizontal information is correct (I did not check your arithmetic).But you vertical information is not. The initial velocity should be negative, you need to compute the final velocity with the information given.

Integral said:
Your horizontal information is correct (I did not check your arithmetic).But you vertical information is not. The initial velocity should be negative, you need to compute the final velocity with the information given.

pssh...I was thikning way too into it...thanks for your help.

I used the formula vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad

Mathematically the answer turns out to be a positive number...Since it is still in the downward direction however, i should make it negative, correct?

EDIT: And thanks for moving the thread. Sry

What is the mathematical term for the path that the bullet takes? Projectile motion is always parabolic, however I am not able to see how that can be so with this problem...

Last edited:
If you were to graph it (distance vs time), youd see why it is parabolic. If the bullet was shot at 0 degrees (horizontally), youd see half the parabola. You would see half the parabolic curve because at this point the vertical velocity was 0 (which is also true when a projectile reaches the maximum height in its flight). In that case, its as if you are only seeing half the projectiles motion. A similar situation occurs in this example. However, the projectile does not start at the maximum height, it begins on its way back downwards. Thats why you would only see a certain portion of the parabola. In each situation, the projectile follows a parabolic curve. However, in the last 2 situations, it only doesn't do so for the entire curve. Does that make any sense?

1. What is projectile motion angled downwards?

Projectile motion angled downwards is a type of motion in which an object is launched at an angle and moves through the air due to the force of gravity.

2. How is the path of a projectile affected by the angle of launch?

The path of a projectile is affected by the angle of launch because it determines the initial velocity and direction of the projectile. A higher angle of launch will result in a longer flight path, while a lower angle will result in a shorter flight path.

3. What factors affect the range of a projectile angled downwards?

The factors that affect the range of a projectile angled downwards are the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. The range will be greatest when the angle of launch is 45 degrees.

4. How does air resistance impact projectile motion angled downwards?

Air resistance can impact projectile motion angled downwards by slowing down the object's velocity and decreasing its range. This is because air resistance acts as a force in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

5. What is the formula for calculating the range of a projectile angled downwards?

The formula for calculating the range of a projectile angled downwards is R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.