Projectile Motion: Finding Angle and Height of Ball Hit on Wall

In summary: But my teacher used that and got the correct angle xDIn summary, the player is trying to hit the wall 16 m away at its highest point with a ball that has a max. possible velocity of 15 m/s. If the ceiling height of the room is 8 m, find the angle of projection of the ball and the height of the point where the ball hits the wall.
MrWarlock616

Homework Statement

These are the exact words:

A player is ready to throw a ball with max. possible velocity of 15 m/s from a height of 1.5 m above the ground. He wants to hit the wall 16 m away from him at its highest point. If the ceiling height of the room is 8 m, find the angle of projection of the ball and the height of the point where the ball hits the wall.

Homework Equations

v=u+at
s=ut+0.5t^2
v^2=u^2+2as

The Attempt at a Solution

The attached file is the diagram.

To find α, I did this:

##15\cos(\alpha)=\frac{16}{t}##

##0=15\sin(\alpha)-9.81t##

## \therefore 15\sin(\alpha)=\frac{9.81\times16}{15\cos(\alpha)} ##

## \therefore 15^2\sin(\alpha)\cos(\alpha)=9.8\times16 ##

## \therefore \sin(2\alpha)=\frac{2\times9.81\times16}{15^2} ##

## \therefore \sin(2\alpha)=1.3952 > 1 ## <-- WHAT

Did I do something wrong?

Attachments

• Photo0151.jpg
    Photo0151.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
This is much easier if you don't plug numbers in first.

The reason you're getting the impossible answer is because you're assuming the peak of the curve is at the wall. You were asked to find the highest point the player could hit. You have to write an equation for the height of the ball as a function of angle and initial velocity, then find where it is highest.

You need to split into two equations - horizontal and vertical. This way, you are able to solve this problem easily [takes some steps to solve the problem]

First thing first.

You need to determine the vertical component and the horizontal component of the path the ball travels, using the first formula you just indicated.

Also, ask yourself:

Which component of the path does gravity take place?
Is there acceleration in horizontal, vertical or both?

NasuSama said:
You need to split into two equations - horizontal and vertical. This way, you are able to solve this problem easily [takes some steps to solve the problem]

First thing first.

You need to determine the vertical component and the horizontal component of the path the ball travels, using the first formula you just indicated.

Also, ask yourself:

Which component of the path does gravity take place?
Is there acceleration in horizontal, vertical or both?
Gravity is in the vertical component of velocity, and acceleration is ZERO in the horizontal motion.

frogjg2003 said:
This is much easier if you don't plug numbers in first.

The reason you're getting the impossible answer is because you're assuming the peak of the curve is at the wall. You were asked to find the highest point the player could hit. You have to write an equation for the height of the ball as a function of angle and initial velocity, then find where it is highest.

Actually I was absent when my teacher solved this. I asked my friend and he did it using v^2=u^2+2as like this:

##0^2=15^2(\sin(\alpha))^2-2\times9.81\times6.5##
## \therefore \alpha=48.84 ## which is the correct answer.
Why did they take s=6.5 m?

Good. You said that there is no acceleration in the horizontal and gravity for the vertical component.

Then, set up the expression, using this form...

s = s_0 + vt + 0.5at^2 [where s_0 is your initial height]

You get two equations - horizontal and vertical.

NasuSama said:
Good. You said that there is no acceleration in the horizontal and gravity for the vertical component.

Then, set up the expression, using this form...

s = s_0 + vt + 0.5at^2 [where s_0 is your initial height]

You get two equations - horizontal and vertical.

Oh yeah I got it. frogjg was right, my assumption was wrong. I used s=ut+0.5at^2 and I got it! Thank you!

MrWarlock616 said:
Oh yeah I got it. frogjg was right, my assumption was wrong. I used s=ut+0.5at^2 and I got it! Thank you!

v_f² = v_i² + 2as makes no use of what you are trying to show here.

NasuSama said:
v_f² = v_i² + 2as makes no use of what you are trying to show here.

But my teacher used that and got the correct angle xD

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the curved path an object takes when it is thrown or launched into the air and moves under the force of gravity.

2. How does a ball being hit affect its trajectory?

When a ball is hit, it gains an initial velocity and follows a parabolic trajectory due to the combination of its initial horizontal and vertical velocities.

3. What factors affect the distance a ball travels when hit?

The distance a ball travels when hit is affected by the initial velocity, angle of the hit, and air resistance. The surface and texture of the ball and the surface it is hit on can also impact the distance.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the hit and the distance the ball travels?

The angle of the hit affects the distance the ball travels because it determines the initial vertical and horizontal velocities. The optimal angle for maximum distance is 45 degrees.

5. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance, or drag, acts in the opposite direction of motion and slows down the projectile's velocity. This causes the projectile to follow a shorter and lower trajectory compared to if there was no air resistance.