1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion best angles

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    Projectile Motion "best angles"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Collect sufficient and relevant empirical data to support the claim that for any initial velocity V there is a "best angle" theta 0ba that yields the largest horizontal displacement (change in x). Support the claim that there is a "best angle" that yields the largest hang time.
    Describe why there is a best angle theta 0 ba. Why do both smaller and larger launch angles give less horizontal displacement.

2. Relevant equations
    Well I was just given this without any real explanation and thus I don't really know what equations to use. He mentioned that there are some websites that could help with this.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just need some help on how I can explain why there is a best angle and why smaller and larger launch angles give less horizontal displacement.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Projectile Motion "best angles"

Have a play about on this page. If you're familiar with the kinematic equations then you can set them up and try and solve for the greatest horizontal distance. or graph the distance as a function of angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?