1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Cat Problem

1. Jan 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cat leaps over a 1.5m wall with a speed of 15m/s and at an angle of 35 degrees. The cat lands on the edge of a ledge that is 1.5m tall, how far is the ledge from the wall?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the range equation to find the entire horizontal distance it could have traveled if there was no ledge (21.14m). Then subtracted that by the distance between the cat and the wall (Pythagorean theorem) and also subtracted that by the distance between the ledge and where it would have landed if there was no ledge. I got a distance of 16.86m and it's wrong lol.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2016 #2
    Need a good diagram.

4. Jan 24, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand how you calculated that.
    Also, it is unclear whether the cat reaches its highest point before or after clearing the wall. Is there more info?
    Whatever, it's one hell of a cat.

5. Jan 24, 2016 #4
    It jumps at 35 degrees and the wall is 1.5m so tan35=1.5/x.
    It reaches its max height after the wall and lands on the 1.5m tall ledge.

6. Jan 24, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would think the given angle is the take off angle. Indeed, you assumed that to get the 21m distance. That will be higher than the angle from take off point to top of wall.

7. Jan 25, 2016 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think it can be answered without a diagram to provide more information.

8. Jan 25, 2016 #7
    Have you tried using the initial x and y components of the initial velocity and then
    calculating the time required to reach a final height of 1.5 m?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted