1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion difficulty

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How far will a stone travel over level ground if it is thrown upward at an angle of 35 degrees with respect to the horizontal and with a speed of 20 m/s?

What is the maximum range that can be achieved if a stone is thrown with an initial speed of 24 m/s?

3. The attempt at a solution

I've worked out both questions using the formula:

R = (Vo^2*sin(2 theta)) / g

For the first question I calculated a distance of 38.35m, and for the second (using the angle 45°) 58.77m. However, both of the answers have been marked incorrect. I've tried different sig figs etc. Am I doing something wrong? Is there any other way to solve these two problems? Thank you in advance for any help!

Sincerely,
    SharkFin

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not sure where you got that formula but, 38.35 and 58.77 is correct assuming they mean the stone is thrown with that speed along that angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?