Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Projectile motion equation help

1. Aug 6, 2005 #1
    This question was on my last test, and I got it wrong. If anyone could help me understand how to get the answer, I would really appreciate it!

A small metal ball with a mass of m = 91.7 g is attached to a string of length
    l = 1.57 m. It is held at an angle of q = 47.5° with respect to the vertical.
    The ball is then released. When the rope is vertical, the ball collides head-
    on and perfectly elastically with an identical ball originally at rest. This
    second ball flies off with a horizontal initial velocity from a height of h =
    3.19 m, and then later it hits the ground. At what distance x will the ball
    land?

I'm not even really too sure on how to approach it!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2005 #2
    you would use projectile motion on this one as well as angular acceleration.

ar = v^2 / r

the range of the projectile isd given by
    R = (v062 * sin (2 theta)) / g

4. Aug 6, 2005 #3
    Thanks a lot for the help, but is there anything else you can tell me. What's throwing me off is that I'm not sure how to find the velocity. I feel like i'm overlooking something simple :confused:

5. Aug 6, 2005 #4
    first you would use the equation

a = g sin (theta)

then intergate to find vel

6. Aug 6, 2005 #5
    Got it, thanks so much!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook