Projectile motion equations using Euclidean Geometry only

In summary, this spreadsheet is a useful tool for solving projectile motion problems using euclidean geometry. It includes a conversion function to switch between slopes and angles, and can solve for various variables such as distance, slope, max range, and time of flight. It also includes clear instructions and is a great resource for learning about projectile motion.
Ntwede
Here is a spreadsheet I made to solve projectile motion problems. It uses only euclidean geometry to solve for the answers, but it gives the answers as slopes, not angles. All variables entered also must be in slopes and not angles. I added a section that does the conversion between the two (just a TAN and ATAN function) to help with getting the slope when you know the angle though.

Anyways, as far as instructions go, the top row of boxes starting on the left are the boxes where you enter the known variables, and the answer will be given in the boxes below. (Not all problem types are solve able using this, but It does the major types of problems such as distance, slope that will make projectile hit the target, max range, time of flight, Etc.)

Please tell me what you think, and give suggestions/point out problems please. =)

Attachments

• Projectile spreadsheet.xls
    12.6 KB · Views: 227
Physics news on Phys.org
This spreadsheet looks like a great tool for solving projectile motion problems. The instructions are clear and straightforward, and all the variables you need to enter are clearly labeled. I think it's a great resource for anyone trying to learn about projectile motion. I do have one suggestion, though: it might be helpful to add a section that explains how to convert angles into slopes and vice versa. This would make it easier for people who are unfamiliar with this type of math to understand what is going on and use the spreadsheet effectively.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is projected into the air and then follows a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a projectile using Euclidean Geometry?

The distance traveled by a projectile can be calculated using the formula d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is derived using Euclidean Geometry principles.

3. Can Euclidean Geometry be used to calculate the angle of projection for a projectile?

Yes, the angle of projection for a projectile can be calculated using the formula θ = tan-1(vy0/vx0), where θ is the angle of projection, vy0 is the initial vertical velocity, and vx0 is the initial horizontal velocity. This formula is derived using Euclidean Geometry principles.

4. How is the maximum height of a projectile calculated using Euclidean Geometry?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the formula h = (vy0)2/2a, where h is the maximum height, vy0 is the initial vertical velocity, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is derived using Euclidean Geometry principles.

5. Can Euclidean Geometry be used to calculate the final velocity of a projectile?

Yes, the final velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the formula v = √(vx02 + (vy0 - gt)2), where v is the final velocity, vx0 is the initial horizontal velocity, vy0 is the initial vertical velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time. This formula is derived using Euclidean Geometry principles.