1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion/forces

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    One side of the roof of a building slopes up at 30.0°. A student throws a Frisbee onto the roof. It strikes with a speed of 15.0 m/s and does not bounce, but slides straight up the incline. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the plastic and the roof is 0.460. The Frisbee slides 10.0 m up the roof to its peak, where it goes into free-fall, following a parabolic trajectory with negligible air resistance.

2. Relevant equations
    Determine the maximum height the Frisbee reaches above the point where it struck the roof.

3. The attempt at a solution
    honestly... i haven't been able to do much, I try to find the acceleration using F=ma, and then maybe finding the speed when it's at the top, and continue from there; but the problem doesn't have a mass, so i don't have a clue where to start in any type of formula except for the basic kinematic equations, but i'm not even sure how those can be applied.

I've created a free-body diagram of it, but as I said without any mass, and maybe even with it I don't know where to start ( this problem is unlike any other one we've had this chapter.) I assume that when it reaches 10m, it will have Vxf, and then I can use that as Vx0 for a new diagram for parabolic motion... but I don't know how to find A, since the only formulas for A involving force is Fk=Uk/N, and you cant get the normal force without M, because N = mass*Gravity, or since it's on a slant, n=mass*cos(30)
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

You are definitely on the right track. It's a 2 part problem where the answer the first part is the initial condition to the 2nd part. Just write the F = ma for the object sliding up the incline. You'll see that it is solveable.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?