Projectile Motion From Cliff Homework: Solving for Distance and Time

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the distance a projectile launched from a vertical cliff will travel before hitting the ground. The equations v0x=v0cosθ0, v0y=v0sinθ0, deltax=v0sinθ0*t, and deltay=v0sinθ0*t are mentioned. One possible solution is Q=v0sinθ*t-(gt^2)/2, and the conversation also mentions the need to solve for t and to account for the assumption that vfy=0 just before the projectile hits the ground. The expert suggests solving Q=v0sinθ*t-(gt^2)/2 for t and substituting deltax=v0sinθ0*t to find the final answer.
crazskier29

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched with speed v0 making angle θ0 with the horizontal from the edge of a vertical cliff at height Q above a horizontal plane. At what distance from the bottom of the cliff does the projectile land?

Homework Equations

v0x=v0cosθ0
v0y=v0sinθ0
deltax=v0sinθ0*t
deltay=v0sinθ0*t
Q=v0sinθ*t-(gt^2)/2

equations that may work?
(v0)^2=vf^2+2ax... ?

The Attempt at a Solution

other than the equations above, I have not been able to solve anything. Basically, I need t to find delta x (the distance from the base of the clifff) and I know that i need to find t in terms of y (but that t in x and y are equal, but motion in x and y is independent)... according to my TA, i cannot assume that vfy=0 and that i must assume that it is just before it hits the ground. How do I find vfy with this assumption (as doing it with this assumption is easy)

Thanks! I have a final on monday 0_o

Physics news on Phys.org
deltay=v0sinθ0*t is not correct; need to add g*t²
but I don't think you need this anyway.

Just solve your Q=v0sinθ*t-(gt^2)/2 for t.
Sub in deltax=v0sinθ0*t to get the final answer.

1. What is projectile motion from cliff homework?

Projectile motion from cliff homework is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the distance and time of an object that is launched from a cliff or elevated surface. It is a common topic in introductory physics courses and is used to demonstrate principles of kinematics and gravity.

2. How do you solve for distance and time in projectile motion from cliff homework?

To solve for distance and time in projectile motion from cliff homework, you will need to use equations of motion and the principles of projectile motion. First, you will need to break down the initial velocity into its horizontal and vertical components. Then, you can use equations such as d = vt for distance and t = 2d/v for time to solve for the unknown values.

3. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion from cliff?

The key factors that affect projectile motion from cliff include the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the trajectory of the projectile and its final distance and time. Air resistance may also play a role in some cases.

4. Can you use projectile motion from cliff equations in real-life situations?

Yes, projectile motion from cliff equations can be applied to real-life situations such as throwing a ball or launching a rocket. These equations can help predict the trajectory and landing point of a projectile, which is important in fields such as sports, engineering, and physics research.

5. What are some tips for solving projectile motion from cliff homework problems?

Some tips for solving projectile motion from cliff homework problems include breaking down the initial velocity into its components, drawing a diagram to visualize the trajectory, and using the appropriate equations of motion. It is also important to pay attention to units and double-check your calculations to ensure accuracy.