1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion glider

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A glider is tugged by an airplane at 81 m/s when it is released. If the original speed was along the horizontal and the glider is now under a constant acceleration of 2.4 m/s2 at 1.1° below the horizontal due to air drag, how long will it take to reach the ground 5.7 km below?

a. 250,000 s
    b. 500s
    c. 4.8 s
    d. 2.2s

2. Relevant equations

v0x = v0*cos(theta)
    v0y = v0*sin(theta)
    vy = v0y + at
    x = x0 + v0x*t
    y = y0 + v0y*t + 1/2*at^2
    vy^2 = v0^2 +2a(delta y)

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

No idea on how to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2
    Notice that the horizontal components of acceleration and velocity do not affect the time it takes to travel vertically - the time to reach the ground.

y = y0 + v0y*t + 1/2*at^2

This equation should work. You know y, y0, v0, and a. Solve for t.

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    How do I find the initial acceleration in the y direction?

5. Dec 2, 2009 #4
    The force of air drag ([tex]F_{drag}[/tex]) on the glider is in the opposite direction of the velocity of the glider. Since this drag is 1.1 degree below the horizontal, the [tex]F_{drag}[/tex] will have a horizontal and vertical component (i.e. will pull the glider backward and downward). So to find the acceleration of the glider in the y direction, we find the resultant force acting on the glider, which is the sum of the y components of the forces acting on it (e.g. [tex]F_{grav}[/tex] and [tex]F_{drag}[/tex]).

[tex]F_{drag}[/tex] = 2.4 m/s2 at 1.1° below the horizontal
    [tex]y_{i}[/tex] = 5.7 km = 5700 m
    [tex]v_{i}[/tex] = 81 m/s

[tex]\sum[/tex]F = ma
    [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]F_{y}[/tex] = [tex]F_{grav}[/tex] + [tex]F_{drag}[/tex] = m[tex]a_{y}[/tex]
    [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]F_{y}[/tex] = -mg - [tex]F_{drag}[/tex]sin(1.1) = m[tex]a_{y}[/tex]
    [tex]a_{y}[/tex] = -(g + ([tex]F_{drag}[/tex]sin(1.1))/m)

From the y component of acceleration, you can derive the y equation as xcvxcvvc said, set that equation equal to zero since y = 0 at ground, and solve for t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook