1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion golf ball question

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1
    If the initial velocity of a golf ball is 30.3 m/s off the club face, and the tee box is at the same height as the green, what is the longest shot possible?
    (not inlcuding roll)
    i have no clue where to start please help?
    all that i know is initial velocity and accelration due to gravity, so how do i solve?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2005 #2
    This is a good bit of information to learn: for the maximum projectile distance, it needs to be launched at 45 degrees. Can you take it from there?

4. Sep 25, 2005 #3
    For maximum distance with negligible air resistance, the best launch angle is 45 degrees. break down your [itex] \vec{v_0} [/tex] vector into vertical and horizontal, and find the flight time to find the flight distance. For roll, you'll need a friction coefficient on the green/rough to see how far it will roll.

5. Sep 25, 2005 #4
    ahh, it nefver said in my book that max proj is 45 degrees, now i think i can do it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?