Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion gun question

1. Sep 27, 2008 #1
    I am having a problem with a question from my calc 3 class. I don't think there is any calculus involved, however. So the problem goes like this "A shot is fired from a gun with a muzzle velocity of 1200 ft/s is to hit a target 3000 ft away. Determine the minimum angle of elevation of the gun.
    Okay so with the vector function equation r(t) = (v0cosøt)i + (v0sinøt -16t²)j
    so i set v0cosøt = 3000 and solve for t and then plug that back in for v0sinøt-16t² and set it equal to 0 and solve for ø? That's what i did and get a different angle than the solutions. Could anyone point a finger in the right direction, please? Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi laluser! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Well, that looks like the right method …

it should give you a quadratic equation with two solutions …

perhaps you picked the wrong one?

If not, show us what equations you did get. :smile:

4. Sep 27, 2008 #3
    Thank you for your reply. I just went back to check my answer and I see that when i was simplifying 3000/100 i said it was 300 instead of 30 giving me much bigger angle. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?