Projectile Motion Simulation: Max Height, Velocities, Range & Time

In summary, the task is to design a projectile motion simulation using digital or photographic technology. The simulation involves a ramp at a height of 88cm with measurements of 49.5, 49.5, and 70cm and a 45 degree angle. A ball is rolled down the ramp at a maximum velocity of 70cm. By using a video to time the flight of the ball, the results show a flight time of 0.434 seconds and a distance of 89cm from the base of the ramp. From this, the initial and final velocities, maximum height, and angle needed to create this motion need to be determined. The equations used include Ux = T x *change in X* and the formula
George302

Homework Statement

Design projectile motion simulation and produce the max height, inital and final velocity, range, and time of flight. must use digital or photographic tech to record events and assist in the experiment>

Okay so I've designed a half projectile motion simulation. A ramp placed on at a height of 88cm. Ramps measurements being 49.5, 49.5 and 70 CM. A 45 degree angled ramp.
a ball is rolled down it at different heights to adjust the speed but just for understandings sake its being rolled at 70cm (max velocity for this exp)
using the video to time the balls flight from the the falling from the ramp and off the horiztonal piece that's been extended. The result is 0.434 seconds and the distance from the base of the falling point is 89 cm.

Homework Equations

So from here i need to find the inital +final (same) velocities, the max height, and the angle needed to create this from the ground point.

Time (0.868s ?) and distance (1.78m ?) are already discovered by doubling recorded results (half projectile motion) and height is also established by the nature of the exp. (0.88m ?)

The Attempt at a Solution

So for initial and final velocity
Ux = T x *change in X*
Ux = 0.434 x 0.89
Ux = 0.38626 ms -1

?

and to find the angle I am pretty stumped.. i don't really know where to start from =|

Physics news on Phys.org

Design projectile motion simulation
I would take this to mean making a computer program or spreadsheet calculations. Are you sure you are supposed to be shooting a real ball?

I am unclear on the apparatus. Are you shooting the ball horizontally? If so, what is the initial height when the ball flies horizontally? What does "rolled at 70cm" mean? If it is supposed to be 70 cm/s, how did you calculate that?

Rotational energy will have a very significant effect here. Do you know how to calculate rotational kinetic energy?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of only gravity.

2. How can I calculate the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the equation h = (v02sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the range of a projectile?

The factors that affect the range of a projectile include the initial velocity, launch angle, and air resistance. The range can also be affected by external factors such as wind and temperature.

4. How is time of flight calculated for a projectile?

The time of flight for a projectile can be calculated using the equation t = 2v0sinθ/g, where t is the time of flight, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can air resistance be ignored when simulating projectile motion?

Air resistance can be ignored in some cases when simulating projectile motion, such as for objects with small mass and low velocities. However, for more accurate simulations, it is important to take air resistance into consideration as it can significantly affect the motion of a projectile.