Projectile Motion Problem: Finding Object Speed for Given Height and Angle

In summary, Alex is attempting to solve a projectile motion problem, but is having difficulty because he does not have all the information he needs. He has gotten as far as finding the maximum height the object reaches and the angle it leaves the ground, but is missing the speed at which the object must leave the ground to reach that height.
AlexT89

Homework Statement

This is a projectile motion problem, providing only the maximum height the object reaches and the angle that it leaves the ground, and asking to find the speed at which the object must leave in order to reach that max height:

The object leaves the ground at 45 degrees and reaches a max height of 12 feet. With what speed must the object leave the ground to reach that height?

Homework Equations

y-direction:
where Voy = Vo sin 45,
y displacement (12 feet) = Voyt + (0.5)(-9.8m/s2)t2

Vo = (Voy) / (sin 45)

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I'm going in circles every time I attempt to solve this problem, almost like I don't have enough information, even though I know that I do.

I've gotten as far as this:

3.66 m = (Vo)(sin 45)t - 4.9t2

I will appreciate any help you can give me. I think I am looking at it wrong, but I can't figure out how else to do so.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
When projectile reaches it's highest point, shouldn't the vy be equal to zero?

method_man said:
When projectile reaches it's highest point, shouldn't the vy be equal to zero?

Right, so if I used the equation:

Vy2 = Voy2 + 2(-9.8)(y-disp)

it would allow me to solve for Voy, and by extension Vo.
Is that correct?

That worked out, I got the answer that it gives in the back of the book. I knew I was overlooking something. Thanks for your help, method man.

AlexT89 said:
Right, so if I used the equation:

Vy2 = Voy2 + 2(-9.8)(y-disp)

it would allow me to solve for Voy, and by extension Vo.
Is that correct?
Yes something like that. Yours y-disp is maximum height and of course Vy=0.

You could also do it like this:
vy=v0y-g*t
And when height is maximum, vy=0 so you get v0y=g*t. From here, you can extract either t or v0y and put it in that first equation: y = Voyt + (0.5)(-9.8m/s2)t2.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of both horizontal and vertical motion, resulting in a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is projectile motion different from normal motion?

Unlike normal motion, where an object moves in a straight line, projectile motion involves both horizontal and vertical components of motion. Additionally, the acceleration due to gravity affects the object's vertical motion, causing it to follow a curved path instead of a straight line.

3. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity. Air resistance can also have a small impact on the motion of the object.

4. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the equation R = (v^2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How is projectile motion used in real life?

Projectile motion is used in various real-life applications such as sports, transportation, and military operations. For example, it is used to calculate the trajectory of a ball in sports like baseball and soccer, and it is also used to determine the launch angle and velocity of a rocket or missile. In addition, understanding projectile motion is crucial in designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides.