Projectile Motion Help: Finding Maximum Height and Components

In summary, The ball fired from a cannon traveled a total distance of 235 meters in 47 seconds. The horizontal component of the ball's velocity is 5 meters per second, while the vertical component can be calculated using the formula vf = vi + at. To find the maximum height, we can use the formula vf^2 = vi^2 + 2a(df-di) where vf is 0 and vi is the vertical component calculated previously. Using this formula, the maximum height of the ball can be found to be 460.62 meters.
passmorea
A ball is fired out of a cannon and flies a total distance of 235 meters. The ball has a total flight time of 47s. What is the maximum height and the vertical and horizontal components?

Homework Statement

df= 235m
t= 47s

Homework Equations

d=vt
df=di+vit+(1/2)at^2
vf=vi+at
vf^2=vi^2+2a(df-di)

The Attempt at a Solution

d=vt
235=47v
v=5 (i don't know where to plug this number into. I could answer this problem if it gave me the trajectory angle, but it is unknown?)

Physics news on Phys.org
d=vt
235=47v
v=5

ok so u basically have the horizontal component here. if u put subscripts, it is dx = vx*ttot
therefor vx = 5m/s

ok next, you know at in projectile motion, at max height velocity = 0m/s right?
so vf = vi + at. t = 1/2 the total time because tup = tdown for projectile motion of the same height. remember this is all in the y component, so a would = 9.8m/s^2. plug and solve for vi ( which is also vy ) and u have ur y component.

next for maximum height you have found you vy component so what do u do? find another formula! what do we know again?? v at max height = 0m/s right? and you have vi sooooo which formula includes vf <--- v at max and vi AND DISTANCE IN THE Y DIRECTION? you already know. plug and chug and u shuld have it.

ok, so the horizontal component is 5. I didn't know where the 5 went.

and just checking my answers, did your vertical component equal .02

and also my max height was 460.62m.

thanks. :)

now looking at it, .02 doesn't look right?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity. Examples of projectiles include a thrown baseball, a kicked soccer ball, or a launched rocket.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors influence the distance, height, and time of flight of the projectile.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the formula R = (v^2 * sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance is a force that acts in the opposite direction to the motion of a projectile. It can slow down the projectile and change its trajectory, making it fall shorter and faster than it would in a vacuum.

5. How is projectile motion used in real life?

Projectile motion is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as sports, engineering, and military technology. In sports, understanding projectile motion is important for athletes to accurately throw, kick, or hit a ball. In engineering, it is used to design and optimize the trajectory of projectiles, such as rockets or missiles. In military technology, it is used to calculate the trajectory of projectiles and aim weapons accurately.