1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Help?

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    A ball is fired out of a cannon and flies a total distance of 235 meters. The ball has a total flight time of 47s. What is the maximum height and the vertical and horizontal components?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

df= 235m
    t= 47s

2. Relevant equations

d=vt
    df=di+vit+(1/2)at^2
    vf=vi+at
    vf^2=vi^2+2a(df-di)

3. The attempt at a solution

d=vt
    235=47v
    v=5 (i dont know where to plug this number into. I could answer this problem if it gave me the trajectory angle, but it is unknown?)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2010 #2
    d=vt
    235=47v
    v=5

ok so u basically have the horizontal component here. if u put subscripts, it is dx = vx*ttot
    therefor vx = 5m/s

ok next, you know at in projectile motion, at max height velocity = 0m/s right?
    so vf = vi + at. t = 1/2 the total time because tup = tdown for projectile motion of the same height. remember this is all in the y component, so a would = 9.8m/s^2. plug and solve for vi ( which is also vy ) and u have ur y component.

next for maximum height you have found you vy component so what do u do? find another formula! what do we know again?? v at max height = 0m/s right? and you have vi sooooo which formula includes vf <--- v at max and vi AND DISTANCE IN THE Y DIRECTION??? you already know. plug and chug and u shuld have it.

4. Mar 31, 2010 #3
    ok, so the horizontal component is 5. I didn't know where the 5 went.

and just checking my answers, did your vertical component equal .02

and also my max height was 460.62m.

thanks. :)

5. Mar 31, 2010 #4
    now looking at it, .02 doesn't look right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook