1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion help?

1. Oct 31, 2012 #1
    I'm new here, and I don't know how to do these homework problems.

1. Katie Bell of the Gryffindor Quidditch team is flying level with the Slytherin goal posts at 25 m/s at the same height as the middle hoop. She throws the ball toward the goal with and additional 15 m/s velocity at an angle of 60 degrees above the horizontal. She scores. How far away is she when she throws the Quaffle? _______

2A. Harry sees Draco Malfoy and his father walking on the Hogwarts grounds while he is flying on his Thunderbolt. He happens to have a bag of Dungbombs in his pocket and decided he will drop them on them. If he is flying at 42 m/s and is 150 m in the air when he lets them fall from his hand, how far away should he be (horizontally) when he lets them drop? Assume no air resistance and complete free fall. __________
    2B. How long does it take the Dungbombs to hit the Malfoys? ________
    2C. What is the velocity and direction at which the Dungbombs impact? _________

Yes, my physics teacher is a big Harry Potter fan :) Thanks!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome AmyPond;
    I believe we have met for the first time next year?
    Small disagreement over a blue box?
    Anyway...

The way to get best value out of these forums is to offer your own reasoning first, that way we can target our help to where you need it most and your efforts will help others with the same problem.

When thinking about projectile motion, you have to remember to separate it into horizontal and vertical components and consider what affects each component. Drawing a v-t graph for each component can help here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook