1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Help

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1
    If a rock is thrown horizontally from a cliff at 25 m/s, what will its velocity be (magnitude and direction) after 3.0 seconds. The answer is 38.6 m/s, and 49.6 degrees down, but I cannot figure out how to get to it.

Not sure which equations to use, I just started and I am learning on my own.

I assumed that to find the velocity, you should average the horizontal and vertical velocities together. So since it has been 3 seconds, the vertical would be 29.4 m/s, because the gravitational constant is 9.8 m/s/s, and the horizontal would remain 25 m/s. Averaged, it would be 27.2 m/s. Obviously that was incorrect. As far as direction goes, I have no idea.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The horizontal and vertical velocities are the components of the total velocity. You must add them like vectors, not average them. A bit of trig will allow you to find to the magnitude and direction of that vector.

4. Jan 23, 2014 #3
    Oh okay, I'll look that up and see if I can get it. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted