1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion homerun question

1. Nov 11, 2004 #1
    all the problem gives me is: a batter hits a ball 98 meters for a homerun and he hit it at a 45 degree angle. what is the velocity of the ball off of the bat? assume the fence is at the same height as the balll.

how do i get the velocity of this thing? I tried getting the height which would be 49 meters and then figuring the time i would take to fall 49 meters, but I dont think that is right. any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2004 #2
    Try setting up a system of equations, one with respect to the y-component, and one to the x. A little hint: use the fact that sin(45) = cos(45).

Hope that helps! :)
  4. Nov 12, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're pretty close to being right. Except you also need to take into account the time it took to get up to 49 meters. In other words, multiply your time by two.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?