Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Projectile motion homerun

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    When David Ortiz hit a homerun over the 12m high "Green Monster' fence at Fenway park 100m away from home plate, the ball was hit 1.0m above the ground at an angle of 35° above horizontal. What was the minumum speed of the batted ball?

dx = 100m
    Vx = Xcos35°
    Vox= Xcos35°
    ax = 0
    dy = 11m
    vy = ?
    voy = ?
    ay = -9.8m/s/s
    t = ?

That is as far as I have gotten. I have only had experience with three missing variables, not five. How do I even start this question?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2
    Suppose we make the initial velocity Vo. Then the initial x direction velocity is Vocos(35) and the y is Vosin(35). Can you write an equation for the displacement in the x and y directions based on your acceleration and initial velocity?

4. Nov 4, 2004 #3
    If you're assuming that its path is parabolic and you are using some of the simple physics formulae then:

v^2= u^2 + 2as
    (take out 'u^2' because you are calculating the vertical velocity once it reaches 1 meter above the ground after having accelerated from the point above the fence where it's vertical velocity component was equal to zero)

v(vertical component) = sqrt(2 x acceleration due to gravity x 11)

then you could work in the V(initial) = V_y (initial)/ sin 35 etc. etc.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook