Projectile motion -- how long does it take the projectile to reach maximum height?

In summary, the problem involves a projectile launched at 70 m/s at an angle of 45 degrees above the horizontal. The question is asking for the time it takes for the projectile to reach maximum height. The attempted solution involved using the equation Vxo=VoSIN(theta), but the user is unsure about which formula to use. Others suggest using trigonometric ratios and SUVAT equations.
Cortana
Member warned that posters must show what they have tried

Homework Statement

A projectile was launched at 70 m/s at an angle of 45 degrees above the horizontal, how long does it take the projectile to reach maximum height?

Homework Equations

Vyo= initial vertical velocity Vo=initial velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the equation Vxo=VoSIN(theta)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Cortana said:
No.
You need to show what you've tried so that we can see what went wrong.

I don't even know where to start tbh, i don't even know which formula to use

Cortana said:
Did you mean that? It could be right, depending on how exactly you are defining theta. What angle do you think it represents?
Double check your source for that equation.

try using trig ratios and SUVAT equations

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, such as a ball thrown through the air or a bullet fired from a gun.

2. How is projectile motion calculated?

Projectile motion is calculated using the principles of physics, specifically the equations of motion and the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

3. What factors affect the time it takes for a projectile to reach maximum height?

The factors that affect the time it takes for a projectile to reach maximum height include the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and gravitational force.

4. How long does it take for a projectile to reach maximum height?

The time it takes for a projectile to reach maximum height depends on the initial velocity and angle of projection, but it can be calculated using the equation t = vy/g, where t is time, vy is the vertical component of the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile is the vertical distance it travels above the ground before it begins to fall back down. It can be calculated using the equation y = (vy^2)/2g, where y is the maximum height, vy is the vertical component of the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.