1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion in 3-D

1. May 14, 2004 #1
    :mad:

Hi Everybody,

I'm currently involved in a project in which I have to display the trajectory of a flying ball in 3D and predict its landing spot. My partners will track the ball as it is launched and give me a set of the ball's 3-D coordinates. The display path is easy but I have a few questions about the predicting path:

Normally, the object's landing spot in 2-D will be calculated by the following formula: (v^2*sin(2theta))/g
    where v is the initial velocity, theta is the launching angle and g is gravity

Now, I never been exposed to projectile motion in 3-D and I have a few questions:
    How do I extract the launching angle from a set of 3-D coordinates ?
    And I am thinking about using the 2-D equation above to calculate where the ball will land (in 2-D) and then somehow obtain the third dimension in the end...Is this a right approach ?

Thank you very much,
    Stan

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Welcome to PF!

"And I am thinking about using the 2-D equation above to calculate where the ball will land (in 2-D) and then somehow obtain the third dimension in the end...Is this a right approach ?"

This is a very good approach, because the the trajectory, [tex]\vec{r}(t)[/tex], will lie in a plane whose vector normal is proportional to the cross product of the initial velocity vector, [tex]\vec{v}_{0}[/tex], and the constant acceleration vector, [tex]\vec{a}[/tex], i.e [tex]\vec{v}_{0}\times\vec{a}[/tex]

Hence, the trajectory curve is in essence a 2-D curve (its torsion zero).

As for expressing the launching angle, the closest analogy to the 2-D case is the polar (azimuthal??) angle in spherical coordinates.

4. May 14, 2004 #3

ShawnD

Science Advisor

You can probably just cheat by drawing a line between where you launch it and where it lands, then draw a perpendicular line along the ground and mark it as your Z axis.

5. May 20, 2004 #4
    "because the the trajectory, [tex]\vec{r}(t)[/tex], will lie in a plane whose vector normal is proportional to the cross product of the initial velocity vector, [tex]\vec{v}_{0}[/tex], and the constant acceleration vector, [tex]\vec{a}[/tex], i.e [tex]\vec{v}_{0}\times\vec{a}[/tex]

Hence, the trajectory curve is in essence a 2-D curve (its torsion zero)"

Arildno, could you please explain more about the cross product stated above?
    And What do you mean by "will lie in a plane whose vector normal is proportional "
    I kinda understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure...

Thank you,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook