1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion including drag

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1
    I have been working with projectile motion, and I am just starting to add air friction (drag) into the equations. I've run into a bit of a wall in terms of the calculations, so any help would be appriciated.

For a projectile, F(drag)=-c.V^2, where c is a constant (which can be written in terms of cross-sectional area, etc.)

Therefore: Acc(drag)=-c.V^2/(mass)

When I write an expression for vertical velocity [V(t)] at a given time [t], I get:

V(t) = V(initial) - 9.8t - (c/m). INTEGRAL{ [V(t)]^2 }dt

I then look at this equation and have trouble writting V(t) without an integral (or derivative for that matter).
    I showed the problem to a friend, who gave me a strange tangent function for V(t), which I can't quite get my head around, as there is no mention of angles at this stage.

Maybe I'm on the wrong track, or maybe my calculus skills aren't quite up to scratch. Eventually I want to create a model for the projectile's motion (in terms of x and y), but first I need to get this part right.
    Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know how to separate variables in a differential equation?

Daniel.

4. Nov 1, 2005 #3
    Yes I realised that this is what I need to do to solve it (this resulted in an arctan funtion, which when rearranged gave me a tangent function for velocity). However, I was unsure how the tangent came out, and when I graphed the resulting function it did not look right. That's why I'm looking for some pointers.
    Thanks,
    villiami

5. Nov 1, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is your ODE

[tex] \frac{dv}{dt}=g -c \cdot v^{2} [/tex]

and you need to find [itex] v(t) [/itex] maybe with a initial condition giving the speed at t=0.

Daniel.

6. Nov 1, 2005 #5
    This then gives me [V is used instead of V(t)]:
    dV/(g-cV^2)=dt
    dV/[c(g/c-V^2)]=dt
    INTEGRAL{1/c(g/c-V^2)}dV=INTEGRAL.dt
    (1/sqrt[-g/c]).arctan(-Vc/g) = -cx + k; k is another constant
    which eventually turns into:
    V = (-g/c).tan{t.sqrt[-gc] + k.sqrt[-g/c]}
    this doesn't seem to make sense when I draw the graph (I expected a curve with an asymptote at some terminal velocity)
    Thanks,
    Villiami
    PS: how can I insert a formula? it takes me ages to write them in manually

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  7. Nov 1, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We use Latex, basically write the code and let the compiler do the rest.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?