1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion - Initial Velocity with Wind

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    Hey Physics Forums. This is my first post here, and I'm just wondering about how to find what the initial velocity SHOULD be based on all the other information that I provide (it's for a program application I coded).

Anyways, I have this right now (which is for no wind/0 wind):

I am just wondering how I would go about factoring in the "wind" and wind's angle.

Wind Angles:

^ 90
    < 180 > 0
    \/ 270

As you can see, the wind angle starts at 0 and moves counter-clockwise.

Anyways, here's the formula:

Velocity = Sqrt((Mass * (DifferenceInX^ 2)) / (2 * (DifferenceInX) * Sin(Theta* PI / 180) * Cos(Thtea * PI / 180) - (2 * (DifferenceInY)) * ((Cos(Theta* PI / 180) ^ 2))))

Where Theta is the angle of the shot; Difference in X is the difference in coordinates X of the starting position and where you want the shot to end; and DifferenceInY is the difference in coordinates Y of the starting and ending position.

Please help me out, thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted