1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Lab

1. Sep 28, 2005 #1
    I'm having some difficulty doing this lab, so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

I basically have to determine what angle to set a launcher at so that the projectile will hit a falling target. I have to derive an actual equation. The only measurements I will be able to make is the height of the target (before it falls) and the distance from the launcher to the target.

I've uploaded a crummy diagram of the set-up:

Remember, the only variable I'll be able to insert values for is 'h' and 'Dx'. I know that I have to start with the five kinematics equations, but I've reached a dead end.

Has anyone done this lab before? Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2005 #2

Since y=vy(t)-.5gt²
    And since both the bullet and target need to meet at the same level, set the two y values equal to each other?

The first portion of the equality is the bullet, which follows a Case 2 motion, a parabolic path with an angle and non-zero vy component. The second portion of the equality is the case 1 scenario that the target follows.

try that out, it MIGHT help out. I don't know for sure of course, but it would be the first thing I would try-keep in mind I don't really know the problem, as in, what you need to show or do.
  4. Sep 29, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?