Projectile Motion launch speed

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a motorcyclist attempting to jump over a series of cars and trucks and land smoothly on another ramp. The task is to determine the necessary launch speed for the jump. The equations used are based on the vertical and horizontal motion, with the point of origin set at the end of the ramp. The requirement for the motorcyclist's velocity to be tangent to the ramp at the landing point is also mentioned.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

The motorcyclist attempts to jump over a series of cars and trucks and lands smoothly on the other ramp, i.e., such that his velocity is tangent to the ramp at B. Determine the launch speed vA necessary to make the jump.

Image attached.

Homework Equations

a = -9.81 [itex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex]

xB = xo + (vo)xt + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at2

yB = yo + (vo)yt + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I set my point of origin for my coordinate system right at point A (end of ramp). I wanted to keep from using the 3 m height of both ramps. (Would I be able to solve this problem this way?)

I came up with the following equations:

Equation 1 (vertical motion): vAsin30 - [itex]\frac{9.81}{2}[/itex]t2 = 0

Equation 2 (horizontal motion): vAcos30t = 25

Is this the correct approach? Are there any errors?

Attachments

• Motorcycle jump.JPG
    Motorcycle jump.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 894
Physics news on Phys.org
aaronfue said:
I set my point of origin for my coordinate system right at point A (end of ramp). I wanted to keep from using the 3 m height of both ramps. (Would I be able to solve this problem this way?)
That is a very good choice.

Correct, and this will allow you to get va.

such that his velocity is tangent to the ramp at B
This follows directly from the requirement that the motorcyclist hits the ramp and the geometry of the problem, I don't know why this was added here. You could add a comment here in some way, or even check the condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
aaronfue said:
I came up with the following equations:

Is this the correct approach? Are there any errors?

Equation 1 t missing

vAsin(30)t - [itex]\frac{9.81}{2}[/itex]t2 = 0

Equation 2 to stop confusion with cos(30t)

vAcos(30)t = 25

1. What is the formula for calculating launch speed in projectile motion?

The formula for calculating launch speed in projectile motion is v = √(g * d), where v is the launch speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the horizontal distance traveled.

2. How does launch speed affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The launch speed directly affects the maximum height and range of a projectile. A higher launch speed will result in a longer range and a greater maximum height, while a lower launch speed will result in a shorter range and a lower maximum height.

3. Is the launch speed the same as the initial velocity in projectile motion?

Yes, the launch speed is the same as the initial velocity in projectile motion. The initial velocity is the speed and direction at which an object is launched, which is also known as the launch speed.

4. How does air resistance affect the launch speed of a projectile?

Air resistance can decrease the launch speed of a projectile because it opposes the motion of the object. The greater the air resistance, the more it will slow down the object and decrease its launch speed.

5. Can the launch speed of a projectile be greater than the escape velocity?

No, the launch speed of a projectile cannot be greater than the escape velocity. The escape velocity is the minimum speed an object needs to escape the gravitational pull of a planet or other celestial body. If the launch speed is greater than the escape velocity, the object will not be able to escape the gravitational pull and will eventually fall back to the surface.