1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion - need help

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    Projectile Motion -- need urgent help :)

If a projectile is fired from the origin of the coordinate system with an initial velocity v and in a direction making an angle alpha with the horizontal, calculate the time required for the projectile to cross a line passing thorugh the origin and making an angle beta less than alpha with the horizontal.

I know that the position of the projectile is described by
    y=y0+v0(sin alpha)*t-4.9t^2.

I let the line be y=ax. I also drew a triangle with Beta as the angle, y=ax as the opposite side, and x as the adjacent side. I'm assuming I want to find y in terms of Beta and then set this equal to y in my projectile motion equation...then solve for t???

Thanks in advance!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Combine this with the equation for the horizontal position and you can get y as a function of x.

Write the equation of the straight line. (What is "a" in terms of beta?)

Now you can find the value of x where the two functions intersect. And then plug that into one of the other equations to solve for the time.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?