Projectile motion of a daredevil.

In summary, G: A daredevil jumps a conyon 12 m wide. To do so, he drives a car up a 15 degree incline.
franken
G: Homework Statement .
A daredevil jumps a conyon 12 m wide. To do so, he drives a car up a 15 degree incline.

R:a. What minimum speed must he achieve to clear the canyon.
b. If the daredevil jums at this minimum speed, what will his speed be when he reaches the other side?

Attempted answer:
I tried finding the value of the arch (hypeotenus) from the cliff to halfway over the cliff at the highest point. From there I found the cos of 15 times 6.19 to find 5.98. From there i tried sticking to one dimension, and using 5.98 as the velocity going down, and ovbiously -9.8 as acceleration. Then I used delta y=1/2at^2 + vt. I know that the answers to both are 15m/s, but i know my work is wrong. Help please! and if anyone has any tips to remember for projectile motion i would really appreciate it because i have a test on it soon.

Physics news on Phys.org
When attempting projectile motion questions, it is best to first split the motion into horizontal and vertical directions, and consider each one separately. Draw a diagram of the situation, and then draw up a table, one column for horizontal, one for vertical, and list the variables that you know.

Then, look at the kinematic equations, and for each part, pick the suitable equation to give you what the question asks for.

alright, tried breaking it up into x and y.

v sin15=y
v cos15= x

x y
delta x=1/2at^2+vt delta y= 1/2at^t + vt
delta x=vt 0=1/2(-9.8)t^2=vt
12=v*cos15*t 0=-4.9t^2+v sin15 t
12.37/v=t 0=-4.9(12.37/v)^2 + v sin15 (12.37/v)
749.8/v^2 = v sin15 (12.37/v)
749.8/v^2 = 3.20v/v
749.8 = 3.20v^2
239.3125=v^2

aaaah! get it. lol. i was doing alg mistakes. thnx!

aah! the work mixed up! oh well, i got it.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object is thrown or launched into the air at an angle and then moves along a curved path due to the forces acting on it, such as gravity and air resistance.

2. How does projectile motion apply to a daredevil's stunts?

Daredevils often use projectile motion in their stunts, such as jumping off ramps or riding a motorcycle through a loop. This allows them to control their trajectory and land safely in a specific spot.

3. What factors affect the projectile motion of a daredevil?

The angle of launch, initial velocity, air resistance, and gravity are all factors that can affect the projectile motion of a daredevil. These factors can be manipulated to create different trajectories and landing points.

4. Can the projectile motion of a daredevil be calculated?

Yes, the projectile motion of a daredevil can be calculated using the principles of physics and mathematical equations. This allows for precise planning and execution of stunts.

5. What safety precautions are taken when considering projectile motion in daredevil stunts?

Daredevils must carefully calculate and consider all factors that affect projectile motion in order to ensure their safety. This may include using protective gear, choosing an appropriate launch angle and velocity, and accounting for potential obstacles or hazards in the landing area.