Projectile Motion of a golf ball off a cliff

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving projecting a gold ball horizontally off a cliff and determining the distance it will travel before hitting the ground. The conversation provides equations and tips for solving the problem, including the fact that the time for horizontal motion is equal to the time for vertical motion.
TaurenOfBlight
I miseed a day of school when they taught this topic here is a sample question, If someone can help me learn how to do these types of questions I would be most grateful

Sam Dupher hits a gold ball horizontally off a 24.0m high cliff with a speed of 40.0 m/sec. How far from the base of the cliff will the ball strike the ground?

So far What I have is...

In Y Dir
Displacement = -24.0
acceleration = -9.81 m/s^2
Vi= 40 m/s
t=?

dx= 40m/s*t

See my problem is I do not know how to solve for t.
I would really like to understand this so if anyone can help ! please do

Physics news on Phys.org
TaurenOfBlight said:
I miseed a day of school when they taught this topic here is a sample question, If someone can help me learn how to do these types of questions I would be most grateful

Sam Dupher hits a gold ball horizontally off a 24.0m high cliff with a speed of 40.0 m/sec. How far from the base of the cliff will the ball strike the ground?

So far What I have is...

In Y Dir
Displacement = -24.0
Vi= 40 m/s
t=?

dx= 40m/s*t

See my problem is I do not know how to solve for t.
I would really like to understand this so if anyone can help ! please do

in Y dir the initial velocity is 0
in X dir initial velocity is 40 m/s

To get the amount of time the ball is in the air you just need to determine how long it takes the ball to travel 24 meters in the Y dir, you probably know the equation that gives the total displacement:
displacement = v_initial*t + 0.5*acceleration*t^2
so in Y dir:
24 = 0*t + 0.5*9.81*t^2
24 = 0.5*9.81*t^2
t = Square_root(48/9.81)

now you have the t that you can use in:
dx= 40m/s*t

few mathmatical equation

this apply tom most projection motion from ground to ground

in verticle component y:

accelration: -g g equal 9.8m/s2
velocity: -gt+usin(d) { g as above t=time u=intial velicty d=degree to the horizontal of projection}

displacement: -0.5gt^2+utsin(d)+0

note if it's project at a buildng or a cliff the equation of displacemnt would be:
-0.5gt^2+utsin(d)+c where c is the meters above ground

in horizontal compent x:
acclearion =0 and always that's why horizontal motion is not affect by vertical compontent

velocity= ucos(d)
dispaclemtn = utcos(d)

fews thing needs to know :

the max displacemnt can be project with same intial velocity is when the degree of projection equals 45 degree

the max height (from ground level) of projection occur when time is equals to half
and vertical velocty equals to 0 plus horizontal displacemnt is half as well

horizontal velcity always is a constant

also if (degree of projection )is:
0 then sin(d)=0 cos(d)=1
90 then sin(d)=1 cos(d)=0
-90 then sin(d)=-1 cos(d)=0

ic in ur case the projection angle is -90

Last edited by a moderator:
TaurenOfBlight said:
So far What I have is...

In Y Dir
Displacement = -24.0
Vi= 40 m/s
t=?
What's the initial speed in the y direction? It's not 40 m/s!

What's the equation for the vertical displacement as a function of time? (The vertical motion is uniformly accelerated (a = -g).)

btw projection motion are true upsidedown parabola

1. How does the angle of the cliff affect the trajectory of the golf ball?

The angle of the cliff will affect the initial velocity of the golf ball, which in turn will affect the range and height of the projectile motion. A steeper cliff will result in a higher initial velocity and a longer horizontal distance traveled.

2. What is the relationship between the height of the cliff and the maximum height reached by the golf ball?

The maximum height reached by the golf ball is directly proportional to the height of the cliff. This means that a higher cliff will result in a higher maximum height reached by the golf ball.

3. How does air resistance affect the projectile motion of the golf ball?

Air resistance will act against the motion of the golf ball, causing it to slow down and reduce its range. The effect of air resistance is more significant for longer distances and higher speeds.

4. Can the launch speed of the golf ball be calculated using the height and distance measurements?

Yes, the launch speed of the golf ball can be calculated using the height and distance measurements. This can be done using the equations of projectile motion and taking into account the angle of the cliff and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the predicted trajectory of the golf ball?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the predicted trajectory of the golf ball, including air resistance, wind, and variations in the initial launch speed and angle. Other factors such as the golf ball's spin and surface roughness can also play a role in the accuracy of the trajectory.