1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion of a particle

1. Nov 21, 2004 #1
    Some particle is given an initial velocity, u at an angle θ to the horizontal. I'm asked to find (as a function of θ): 1. the range of the particle, X, 2. the maximum altitude reached, Y and the time taken to reach maximum altitude, T.

First I resolved u into components: uy = usin θ, ux = ucos θ.

For 1, I said x = ucos θ.t (since the horizontal motion is unaccelerated, no air resistance).

To work out t, I used s = ut + (1/2)at^2 for the vertical motion, setting s = 0. For t != 0, I got t = (2usin θ)/g

=> X = (ucos θ.2usin θ)/g = (2u^2.sin θcos θ)/g = (u^2.sin 2θ)/g

For 2, I used the fact that v = 0 when the particle reaches its maximum height and the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as.

=> Y = (1/2g)(uy)^2 = (1/2g)(usin θ)^2

For 3, I again used v = 0 at maximum height, but used v = u + at

=> T = (usin θ)/g

Then, I'm asked to work out the projectile's velocity as a function of time.

v(t) = [(vx)^2 + (vy)^2]^1/2

vx = ucos θ
    Using v = u + at, vy = usin θ - gt

v(t) = [(ucos θ)^2 + (usin θ - gt)^2]^1/2

v(t) = [(ucos θ)^2 + ((usin θ)^2 - 2gtusin θ + (gt)^2]^1/2

v(t) = [u^2.(cos^2 θ + sin^2 θ) - 2gtusin θ + (gt)^2]^1/2

v(t) = [u^2 - 2gtusin θ + (gt)^2]^1/2

Is this correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good to me.
  4. Nov 21, 2004 #3
    Cheers Doc! :)
  5. Nov 23, 2004 #4
    Hmm, I have to plot v(t) vs. t, for a given u and θ and all I get is a straight line. It doesn't seem right to me for some reason :(.
  6. Nov 23, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Well, that can't be right. (I assume you are plotting the magnitude of the velocity.) Try it again! It starts out with its maximum value of u ... decreases to a minimum value of [itex]u cos\theta[/itex] (at the top of the motion)... then increases again back to the original value (when it's back to the starting height).
  7. Nov 23, 2004 #6

Thanks again Doc. Yes, I'm plotting the magnitude of the velocity. My working for v is in my first post and I'm not sure what's wrong with it. Maybe I shouldn't have factorised u^2.cos^2 θ + u^2.sin^2 θ by u^2, but it shouldn't make a difference.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?