1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion of plane

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A supply plane needs to drops a package of food to scientists working on a glacier in Greenland. The plane flies 116m above the glacier at a speeds of 170m/s. How far short of the target should it drop the package?

2. Relevant equations
    Kinematic equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    As with my other two posts, I know what I need to find. I just don't know how to go about finding it. I'm so confused about finding the components of the velocity without a given angle.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

assume it's flying horizontally, since no other info is given.

4. Sep 17, 2007 #3
    I want to say that this problem is like the other one you helped me with, but I don't think that's the case.

5. Sep 17, 2007 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

well, its kind of like the same, xcept in the other one, you were given x and v_x, you solved for t, then found the height. In this one, you are given h and v_y, solve for t, then find x. Sort of like the other one in reverse.

6. Sep 17, 2007 #5
    Ok, I used what I did in the other problem I had. You didn't help on that one. I solved for t using Yf = Yi + Vyi(t) - 1/2 g(t^2). I got 4.863s. Then I used Xf = Xi + Vx(t) to find x, which I got to be 826.71. Thank you again!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?