Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Projectile Motion of plane

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A supply plane needs to drops a package of food to scientists working on a glacier in Greenland. The plane flies 116m above the glacier at a speeds of 170m/s. How far short of the target should it drop the package?

2. Relevant equations
    Kinematic equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    As with my other two posts, I know what I need to find. I just don't know how to go about finding it. I'm so confused about finding the components of the velocity without a given angle.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

assume it's flying horizontally, since no other info is given.

4. Sep 17, 2007 #3
    I want to say that this problem is like the other one you helped me with, but I don't think that's the case.

5. Sep 17, 2007 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

well, its kind of like the same, xcept in the other one, you were given x and v_x, you solved for t, then found the height. In this one, you are given h and v_y, solve for t, then find x. Sort of like the other one in reverse.

6. Sep 17, 2007 #5
    Ok, I used what I did in the other problem I had. You didn't help on that one. I solved for t using Yf = Yi + Vyi(t) - 1/2 g(t^2). I got 4.863s. Then I used Xf = Xi + Vx(t) to find x, which I got to be 826.71. Thank you again!!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook