Projectile Motion Calculations: Ship's Shot at an Enemy Ship and Island Peak

In summary, the question is asking for the horizontal and vertical distance of a projectile fired from a ship towards an enemy ship on the other side of an island's mountain peak. The ship is 2.50 x 10 ^ 3 m away from the peak and the enemy ship is 6.10 x 10 ^ 2 m away from the peak. The projectile is fired with an initial velocity of 2.50 x 10 ^ 2 m/s at an angle of 75 degrees. To solve this problem, the equations for vertical and horizontal motion of a projectile should be used, along with the values given.
lucianman24
Please help me with the following question:

A ship maneuvers to within 2.50 x 10 ^ 3 m of an island's 1.80 x 10 ^ 3 m high mountain peak and fires a projectile at an enemy ship 6.10 x 10 ^ 2 m on the other side of the peak. If the ship shoots the projectile with an initial velocity of 2.50 x 10 ^ 2 m/s at an angle of 75 degrees, how close to the enemy ship does the projectile land? How close (vertically) does the projectile come to the peak? My physics book says the answer will be 8m and 210m but I want to know how to do it.

Vertical Motion of a Projectile that falls from rest
Vy,f = -gt (where g = a = 9.81) (t = time)
Vy,f^2 = -2gy (y = delta y= displacement in the y direction)
delta y = -1/2g(t)^2

Horizontal Motion of a Projectile
Vx = Vx,i = constant ( i = intial velocity)
delta x = Vxt ( delta x = dispalcement in the x direction)

Projectiles Launched At An Angle
Vx = Vi (cos theta) = constant (theta = degrees of angle)
delta x = Vi (cos theta)t
Vy,f = Vi (sin theta) - gt
Vy,f^2 = Vi^2 (sin theta)^2 - 2g(delta y)
delta y = Vi (sin theta)t - 1/2g(t)^2

Hope you can understand if not reply saying what you dont
Thank You

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lucianman24 said:

A ship maneuvers to within 2.50 x 10 ^ 3 m of an island's 1.80 x 10 ^ 3 m high mountain peak and fires a projectile at an enemy ship 6.10 x 10 ^ 2 m on the other side of the peak. If the ship shoots the projectile with an initial velocity of 2.50 x 10 ^ 2 m/s at an angle of 75 degrees, how close to the enemy ship does the projectile land? How close (vertically) does the projectile come to the peak?

THANK YOU

Hey, lucianman, welcome to the site!

What's your work so far for this problem? What values do you know? What equations might be useful?

lucianman24 said:

A ship maneuvers to within 2.50 x 10 ^ 3 m of an island's 1.80 x 10 ^ 3 m high mountain peak and fires a projectile at an enemy ship 6.10 x 10 ^ 2 m on the other side of the peak. If the ship shoots the projectile with an initial velocity of 2.50 x 10 ^ 2 m/s at an angle of 75 degrees, how close to the enemy ship does the projectile land? How close (vertically) does the projectile come to the peak?

THANK YOU

Show us some work. You should start off by writing down all the equations related to projectile motion (i.e. velocity, displacement, etc.).

P.S. Typing 'projectile motion' into the search box should be very useful too, since it is a highly frequent topic. :smile:

1. What is projectile motion of a ship?

Projectile motion of a ship refers to the curved path that a ship follows when it is launched into the air and then falls back to the surface of the water. This motion is influenced by the initial velocity and angle at which the ship is launched, as well as external factors such as wind and water currents.

2. What causes a ship to experience projectile motion?

A ship experiences projectile motion due to the forces acting upon it, including the initial force applied to launch it into the air and the force of gravity pulling it back towards the surface of the water. These forces cause the ship to follow a curved path known as a projectile.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the projectile motion of a ship?

The angle of launch is a crucial factor in determining the trajectory of a ship's projectile motion. A ship launched at a lower angle will travel a shorter distance but will reach a higher peak, while a ship launched at a higher angle will travel a longer distance but will reach a lower peak. The optimal angle for maximum distance will depend on the initial velocity and other external factors.

4. What is the role of air resistance in the projectile motion of a ship?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the projectile motion of a ship. As the ship moves through the air, it experiences resistance, which can cause it to slow down and alter its trajectory. This is why ships with a larger surface area or shape that is less aerodynamic will experience more drag and have a different projectile motion compared to sleeker ships.

5. How is the projectile motion of a ship calculated?

The projectile motion of a ship can be calculated using the laws of physics, specifically the equations of motion and the principles of projectile motion. These calculations take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and external forces such as gravity and air resistance. Advanced mathematical models and simulations can also be used to accurately predict the trajectory of a ship's projectile motion.