1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion off a ramp

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A skateboarder starts up a 1.0--high, 30 ramp at a speed of 7.9 . The skateboard wheels roll without friction. How far from the end of the ramp does the skateboarder touch down?

2. Relevant equations

x=x0+v0t+.5(a)(t2)
    v=v0+at

3. The attempt at a solution
    This question seems pretty straight forward and I've found an answer but the website we use says it's wrong. First I found vx=7.9cos(30)=6.84 and vy=7.9sin(30)=3.95. I tried finding maximum y by solving vy=0=-9.8*t1 then t1=.405 and plugging that into y=1.8 then finding t2 when y=0 and y0=1.8 to get t2=.605 so ttotal=1.01 and plugging that into x=6.913

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2
    A skateboarder starts up a 1.0--high, 30 ramp at a speed of 7.9 . The skateboard wheels roll without friction. How far from the end of the ramp does the skateboarder touch down?
    -------------------
    My understanding that it starts off a flat ramp top.
    I do not understand whether the friction has any factor in the calculation.
    With zero initial vertical velocity, in my calculation the distance from the base is 1.8m

4. Sep 21, 2012 #3
    sorry 30 ramp is supposed to be 30o ramp

5. Sep 21, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What immediately occurs to me is that the ground (where the skateboarder touches down) is at a different height to the end of the ramp (where ballistic motion starts).
    The 7.9m/s is at the bottom of the ramp, not the top.

6. Sep 22, 2012 #5
    Yeah that was it the 7.9 was at the bottom of the ramp not the end of the ramp thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook