How Does Projectile Motion Affect a Golf Ball's Landing on a Sloped Terrain?

In summary, a golfer drives a ball horizontally with initial velocity v = (50m/s , 0) from a tee at the origin, down a 20deg below-horizontal slope. The ball lands on the slope after a distance of 197.5 cm. The slope's cosine angle is -20 degrees, and the golfer's initial height is 1.73 m. Find the golfer's speed of impact.
vande060
A golfer drives a ball horizontally with
initial velocity v = (50m/s , 0) from a tee at the
origin, down a 20deg below-horizontal slope as
illustrated above.

A. How far from the tee measured along
the slope does the ball land on the slope?
B. With what speed does it land?

a link to the page in the book with the problem: http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab174/alkaline262/?action=view&current=chapter2question.jpg
x(t) = x0 + v0x*t + 1/2*a*t^2
y(t) = y0 + v0y*t + 1/2*a*t^2

x(t) = v0*t
y(t) = -1/2*g*t^2

solving x(t) for t:

t = (x/v0)

inserting in y equation fro trajectory:

y(x) = -1/2*g*(x/v0)^2

i will call the projectile range R, as it would be along the x axis. to compensate for the slope of the hill i will now substitute into the trajectory equation:

R*sin(θ) = -1/2*g*([R^2*cos(θ)^2]/v0^2)

solving for R i get (sin(θ)*-2*v0^2*)/(cos^2*g) = R

inserting v0=50 and θ=-20deg i get the range to be 197

my prof says the range is 185, which i would have gotten i the cos of the denominator was not squared, where is my error here?

I am still working on the second part, but need to clear this up first. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
vande060 said:
y(x) = -1/2*g*(x/v0)^2
Consider the above equation. You also know that tan20o = -y/x. So ...

kuruman said:
Consider the above equation. You also know that tan20o = -y/x. So ...

xtan(-20) = -1/2*g(x^2/v0^2)

x = [2*v0^2*tan(-20)]/-g = 185

to find the intersection, when the y vales are equal. this comes out to 185, but i don't understand if my math above(when i did it the long way) is incorrect. how did i make a mistake? was it in the math, or was that just altogether incorrect? Thanks for your help so far.

vande060 said:
... but i don't understand if my math above(when i did it the long way) is incorrect. how did i make a mistake? was it in the math, or was that just altogether incorrect? Thanks for your help so far.
I am not sure where you got this

That's probably where you went wrong.

kuruman said:
I am not sure where you got this

That's probably where you went wrong.

all right, ill just forget it then. thanks for your help; it was substantial

so far we have said

x= [2*v0^2*tan(20)]/g

since tan = -y/x

then y = [-tan(20)^2*2*v0^2]/g

right?

if that is correct, then can i differentiate these two to get the velocities (vx,vy) then plug that into the equation for finding speed of impact :

IvI = √ (vx^2 + vy^2)

if that is right, then it is completely solved!

vande060 said:
so far we have said

x= [2*v0^2*tan(20)]/g

since tan = -y/x

then y = [-tan(20)^2*2*v0^2]/g

right?
Right. But x in the above equation is not a function. It is the range R, a constant. Same for y, it stands for the vertical drop when the horizontal distance is R.

if that is correct, then can i differentiate these two to get the velocities (vx,vy) then plug that into the equation for finding speed of impact :

IvI = √ (vx^2 + vy^2)

if that is right, then it is completely solved!
Differentiate what two and with respect to what? The horizontal velocity vx is constant and equal to 50 m/s. You can find the vertical velocity vy if you first find the time of flight and then use vy = gt. Having the two components, you can find the impact angle.

:blushing: welp, back to the drawing board.

185*cos(-20)=v0*t

[185*cos(-20)]/50 = t

3.5s = t

now i believe i can solve for the speed of impact.

given by the equation √(vx^2 + vy^2)

speed of impact = 60.6 m/s

Hopefully that is it, i see what you mean about the derivatives and constants. Thank you for your help

1. What is projectile motion on a slope?

Projectile motion on a slope refers to the motion of an object that is projected at an angle on a sloped surface. It combines the concepts of projectile motion and motion on an inclined plane.

2. How is the angle of projection on a slope determined?

The angle of projection on a slope is determined by the angle between the slope and the horizontal surface. This angle is known as the inclination angle or the angle of elevation.

3. What factors affect the projectile motion on a slope?

The factors that affect the projectile motion on a slope include the angle of projection, initial velocity, mass of the object, and the slope of the surface. Air resistance and external forces may also play a role.

4. How does the slope affect the range and height of the projectile?

The slope has a significant impact on the range and height of the projectile. A steeper slope will result in a shorter range and a higher height, while a gentler slope will result in a longer range and a lower height.

5. What are the applications of studying projectile motion on a slope?

The study of projectile motion on a slope has various practical applications, such as understanding the trajectory of golf balls on a hilly course, calculating the range of a projectile launched from a cliff, and predicting the trajectory of a ball rolling down a ramp.