Projectile motion problem: Calculations for the record distance for the hammer throw

• Thread starter mr1709
  • Start date

Homework Statement

The record distance for the hammer throw is about 87m. to achieve this distance, an athlete must produce a centripetal acceleration of nearly 711 m/s^2.
a) Given a radius of 1.21 m calculate the speed of the ball when it is released
b) The athlete lets go when the ball is 2.0 m above the ground moving at an angle of 42 degrees above the horizontal. Determine the range. Ignore any air friction

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Solved part a and got a velocity of 29.33 m/s. Having an issue with b, i have the solution manuals solution but i don't quite understand why they did certain things in their process. For one, why did they find the final velocity in the y component, why not just immediately find the time? And, they used displacement as -2....which makes sense because its a displacement of -2 metres, but they used positive 9.8 as the acceleration. Why was -9.8 not used and why did they even find the final velocity...why not just go straight to the time using a different kinematic equation? The attached pics contain my solution and the textbooks solution.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The two solutions are equivalent and ought to give the same answer. Which one is used depends on one's personal preference. Having said that, I add that you are correct in pointing out that they should have used -9.8 m/s2. The y-component of the velocity is 19.6 m/s at a height of 2 m above ground. When in drops on the ground it must have a magnitude larger than 19.6 m/s. The solution's claim that it's 18.58 m/s is in error.

Last edited:
Likes mr1709