Projectile motion problem,

In summary, the problem involves a soccer player kicking a ball with a speed of 14 ms-1 at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal from a distance of 17 m in front of the goal. The maximum height reached by the ball is 5.001 m and it is 27 m from the goal at that point. To determine if the ball passes under the cross bar of the goal, the height of the bar (2.64 m) must be compared to the maximum height of the ball. Additionally, to see if the ball can be intercepted by a second player located 10 m in front of the goal, the height of the second player (3 m) must be compared to the height of the ball at
weskerq8

Homework Statement

A soccer player kicks the ball off the ground from a horizontal distance of 17 m in front of the
goal as shown in Figure 1. He kicks the ball with a speed of 14 ms-1 at an angle of 45o to the
horizontal.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4143/fig.gif

(a) What is the maximum height reached by the ball?
(b) How far from the goal is the ball when it is at its maximum height?
(c) The cross bar of the goal is 2.64 m above the ground. Does the ball pass under the bar?
(d) Can the ball be intercepted by a second player located 10 m in front of the goal
assuming he does not travel horizontally and can reach no higher than 3 m above the
ground?

Homework Equations

Xf = Xi + Vix t
Vy = Viy - gt
yf - yi = Viy t - 1/2 g t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have problems with part A and B as i already worked them out. I just need help on how to work on part C and D as I don't have any clue near on how to approach them.

my answers for part A was 5.001
and for part B was 27

I just want to learn how not to get the solution. Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The last two questions are basically of the type: calculate the height of the ball at horizontal distance X.
What I would do then, is convert the horizontal distance to flight time t (using one of the formulas you quoted) and then plug that into one of your other formulas to get the height.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space, where the only force acting on it is gravity.

2. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (v2sin(2θ))/g, where v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion refers to the motion of the object in the x-direction, while the vertical component refers to the motion in the y-direction. These components are independent of each other, and the horizontal component remains constant while the vertical component is affected by gravity.

4. How do you find the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be found using the equation h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where v is the initial velocity and θ is the launch angle.

5. What are some real-life examples of projectile motion?

Some examples of projectile motion in real life include a ball being thrown, a bullet being fired, and a rocket being launched.