Projectile Motion Problem. Very HARD

In summary: But in 3-d they'd be different speeds.In summary, the basketball star can be modeled as a point with a center of mass at elevation 1.02 m when he leaves the floor and reaches a maximal height of 1.85 above the floor. His time of flight can be determined using the equation x = Xinitial + Vinitial * t + .5a(t)^2.
M1st3rmarbl3s
Well... for me.

A Basketball Star covers 2.80m horizontally in a jump to dunk the ball. His motion through space can be modeled as that of a particle at a point called his center of mass. His center of mass is at elevation 1.02 m when he leaves the floor. It reaches a maximun height of 1.85 above the floor and is at elevation .900 when he touches again. Determine his time of flight.

Okay... well i usually get these kinds of problems. But I can't seem to get this one. You're (supposedly) not supposed to know anything about the center of mass. So i used the three center of mass heights as my Y component, but I still can't solve it because I don't have the initial velocity and i need that in order to use the different equations...

HELP ME PLEASE! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure that the center of mass is just supposed to be your reference point. So what information is given to you from this problem? What information do you need in two dimensional motion?

Well... I'm pretty sure that I don't need to know the center of mass yet. So I started to guess that the starting Y direction is 1.02 m and the final Y is .900 m so I am guessing it's like a parabolic 2-D motion problem but the guy ends up a little further than normal. If I were given an initial velocity I think I can solve this problem, but I can't seem to get the problem going. I've tried the X = Xinitial + Vinitial * t + .5a(t)^2 but that won't work. I've been working on this problem for like 45 mins and I still Don't know how to get kinda started on it.

I was trying to tell you that the problem is just stating .9m as the lowest point that a reference point on the player reaches, and that 1.85m is the highest point. They did that do you know that the problem wasn't starting by counting distance from his shoe and then ending up with his head.

There is another section of physics that deals with centers of mass, in 2-d and 3-d, but I this isn't one of those problems.

To your question... at half the total time, what is true about the y-distance? What is true about the x-distance? What equations can you use to model two dimensional motion?

If two balls are shot horizontally with speeds [itex]v_1[/itex] and [itex]v_2[/itex] from the same height [itex]h[/itex], which ball will stay in the air longer (let's forget about the curvature of Earth here).

they'd be the same

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion include the angle of launch, the initial velocity, and the force of gravity.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the force of gravity.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion is the motion of the object parallel to the ground, while the vertical component is the motion of the object perpendicular to the ground.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This is more noticeable at higher velocities and can be accounted for in calculations by using a drag coefficient.