Is This Projectile Motion Calculation Correct for a Bike Jump?

In summary, the conversation was about someone solving a projectile motion problem and wanting to verify their solution. They provide their solution using well-known formulas and ask for confirmation if it is correct.
Lisa...
Hey!

I always had a few difficulties with projectile motion problems, so I just solved one and I wanted to verify if my solution is ok, since I don't have a book with solutions so I can't check if I understood the problem well...

So it's about somebody on a bike who rides off an entrenchment (that's what it's called right?) with a velocity v under an angle of alpha with the ground. He's hoping to land safely on another entrenchement that's h heigher than the first one, at a distance x from the first entrenchment:

Projectilemotion.GIF

For a given height h, find the minimal velocity vmin the jumper needs to have in order to land safely on the platform at a distance x.

Well what I did is the following:

The well known formula's for the projectile motion are:
x(t)= v0x t + x0
y(t)= y0 + v0y t - 1/2 gt^2
Where v0x= v0 cos @ and v0y= v0 sin @

So if x(t)= x than y(t)= h.

x= v0x t and h= v0y t - 1/2 gt^2
Therefore t= x/v0x. Substitution in the h formula gives:

h= ((v0y x)/v0x)- 1/2 g (x/v0x)^2= ((v0y x)/v0x)- (g x^2)/(2 v0x^2)

Knowing v0x= v0 cos @ and v0y= v0 sin @ substitution gives:

h= ((x v0 sin@)/ v0 cos @) - (g x^2)/ (2 v0^2 (cos^2)@)
h= x tan @ - (g x^2)/ (2 v0^2 (cos^2)@)

(g x^2)/ (2 v0^2 (cos^2)@)= x tan@ -h
(2 v0^2 (cos^2)@)= (g x^2)/ (x tan@-h)
v0^2= (g x^2)/ (2 (cos^2)@ (x tan@ -h))
v0= sqrt((g x^2)/ (2 (cos^2)@ (x tan@ -h)))

Is this correct?! Thanks in advance for your effort!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you understood the problem fine. Your answer also looks good but I didn't have time to go through all the details.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is moving through the air or space under the influence of only gravity. This type of motion follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity.

3. How do you calculate the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the formula h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

4. Can a projectile have a negative initial velocity?

Yes, a projectile can have a negative initial velocity. This means that the object is moving downwards at the time of launch, which will affect its trajectory and maximum height.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and altering its trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, reducing its speed and changing its path.