The Time of Return for a Particle Undergoing Negative Acceleration

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the time when a particle returns to its initial position after starting at x_0 with a velocity of v_0 and acceleration in the negative x direction. The suggested equations are v=v_0-at and x=x_0+v_0*t, but it is then pointed out that these are for uniform motion and a quadratic equation using x = Vo*t + .5*a*t^2 is needed. This will result in two solutions, one being t=0 and the other being greater than zero.
estie

Homework Statement

A particle leaves its initial position x_0 at time t=0 moving in the positive x direction with speed v_0 but undergoing acceleration of magnitude a in the negative x direction. Find expressions for (a) the time when it returns to the position x_0.

Homework Equations

v=v_0-at
x=x_0+v_0*t

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that v=v_0, but that gives me a time of 0, which doesn't make sense. I'm also not supposed to use x_0 in the solution. otherwise, i think the solution should be (v-v_0)/-a.

Physics news on Phys.org
x=x_0+v_0*t
This formula is for uniform motion (zero acceleration).
You need to use x = Vo*t + .5*a*t^2.
When you set x = 0, you will have a quadratic equation with two solutions. One will be t=0 of course and the other greater than zero.

Homework Equations

v=v_0-at
x=x_0+v_0*t
By the way estie, if you wish to use TeX-style notation on this forum you can wrap [ tex] [/tex] tags around your equations so it'll look more like this:
[tex]x=x_0+v_{0}t
[/tex]

Welcome to PF!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path due to the combination of its initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What are the key components of a projectile motion problem?

The key components of a projectile motion problem are the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time of flight.

3. How do I calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = v02sin(2θ)/g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile can be calculated using the formula H = v02sin2(θ)/2g, where H is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This can result in a shorter range and a lower maximum height reached compared to a scenario without air resistance. In most cases, air resistance can be ignored in projectile motion problems unless the object is moving at very high speeds.