1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion problem

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle leaves its initial position x_0 at time t=0 moving in the positive x direction with speed v_0 but undergoing acceleration of magnitude a in the negative x direction. Find expressions for (a) the time when it returns to the position x_0.

2. Relevant equations

v=v_0-at
    x=x_0+v_0*t

3. The attempt at a solution

i know that v=v_0, but that gives me a time of 0, which doesn't make sense. i'm also not supposed to use x_0 in the solution. otherwise, i think the solution should be (v-v_0)/-a.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

This formula is for uniform motion (zero acceleration).
    You need to use x = Vo*t + .5*a*t^2.
    When you set x = 0, you will have a quadratic equation with two solutions. One will be t=0 of course and the other greater than zero.

4. Feb 1, 2009 #3

Mk

By the way estie, if you wish to use TeX-style notation on this forum you can wrap [ tex] [/tex] tags around your equations so it'll look more like this:
    [tex]x=x_0+v_{0}t
    [/tex]

Welcome to PF!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?