1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion problem

1. Jul 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a certain cannon can shoot a projectile a distance of 275m when it is aimed at 66.0 degrees above the horizontal, what is the maximum range the cannon could achieve with the same projectile, and at what angle should it be aimed to do this?

2. Relevant equations:
    x = Vo(Cos@)t , where @ = angle
    X=Xo + (Vox)t

3. The attempt at a solution: answers given in text book: 370 m, 45 degrees...I'm still trying to solve the problem, and not knowing time (t) is what leaves me stuck

Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate it! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF :smile:

Many text books actually discuss the range of projectiles, and give an equation for range as a function of angle and velocity.

4. Jul 10, 2009 #3
    Hello! Be sure to read the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374" of the group sometime:
    Are you sure you have all the equations necessary to solve the problem, by the way?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Jul 11, 2009 #4
    Moderation Note: Complete solution removed. Hootenanny

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
  6. Jul 11, 2009 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

jontyjashan, you did not need to post the full solution.

7. Jul 11, 2009 #6
    why shouldnt i post full solution

8. Jul 11, 2009 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's against the rules of Physics Forums! Also, it doesn't help the OP think about and learn the material, which is the reason behind the rule.

From the Homework Help section at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook