1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Problem!

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    1. I got the first part right but I cannot figure out how to do the second part!! Help please! And thank you!

Volcanoes on the Earth eject rocks at speeds of up to 170 m/s. Consider a 1750 m high volcano which ejects rocks in all directions. What is the maximum height above sea level reached by rocks?
    Answer: 3.22*10^3m

part B: Consider a rock ejected an angle of 30degrees. How far from the axis of the volcano (horizontally) will it strike the ocean?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2
    separate your x and y components

x:
    v0x=170cos30
    x=?
    t= from y

y:
    v0y =170sin30
    a =-9.81m/s^2
    y = -1750m
    t =
    solve for t using y=v0*t+(1/2)at^2
    then plug t into your x component to get x

(make sure to keep your initial y velocity positive and your acceleration and y distance negative)

4. Sep 10, 2012 #3
    Hi, Iam currently working on a similar problem and I keep getting it wrong. I found t to equal 17.34s or 3.57s by using the quadratic formula i then took a time and plugged it back into the formula using all the x component numbers and got 2429.14m or 4084.41m both are wrong.

my volcano is 2000m high and rocks are shooting at 45 degree angle traveling at 170m/s.
    thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook