1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion problem

1. Jan 19, 2005 #1
    Problem : find a [tex]v_i[/tex] and angle [tex]\theta[/tex] that will be able to hit the target 795 m away and clear the 60 m hill 600 m away. I attached a picture of the problem.

I was trying to do this using the equation
    [tex]y=y_0+(x-x_0)*tan(\theta)-\frac {1}{2}g (\frac {x-x_0}{v_0*cos(\theta)})^2[/tex]

I used this by seperating the problem into two parts from the origin to x=600 m and y=60m ([tex]y_0 = x_0 = 0[/tex]) and the second part from x= 795 m and y=0 m([tex]y_0=60m , x_0=600m[/tex])
    I know this is wrong, because I couldn't get an answer. I was wondering what the best way to approach this problem would be. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try using your equation and finding the expressions for [itex]v_0[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] where (x,y) = (600,60) and (x,y) = (795,0)

AM

4. Jan 20, 2005 #3
    Hi,
    I tried to do this before, I couldn't solve for either variable and when I plug it into my calculator to solve it says that it's false. This is where I got stuck. Is there another way to solve for it or am I doing something wrong?
    [tex]60=600*tan(\theta) - \frac{1}{2}*g*\frac{600}{v_0*cos(\theta)}
    [/tex]
    and
    [tex] 0=795*tan(\theta)-\frac{1}{2}*g*\frac{795}{v_0*cos(\theta)}
    [/tex]

5. Jan 20, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the last term, t (= x/vcos) should be squared:

[tex]60=600*tan(\theta) - \frac{1}{2}*g*\frac{600^2}{v_0^2cos^2(\theta)}[/tex]
    and
    [tex] 0=795*tan(\theta)-\frac{1}{2}*g*\frac{795^2}{(v_0^2cos^2(\theta))}[/tex]

Substituting [itex]t=x/v_0cos(\theta)[/itex] into the general equation of motion, you get the general solution to the quadratic for the range, R:

[tex]R = v_0^2sin^2\theta/2g[/tex]

Then substitute that into the equation of motion to get:
    [tex]y = xtan\theta - \frac{1}{4R}tan^2\theta[/tex] where R = range (795)

By substituting x,y = 600,60 you have a quadratic equation in terms of tan(theta) only. You will have to check my algebra - I am not guaranteeing that I haven't missed something.

AM

6. Jan 20, 2005 #5
    Hi,
    Someone asked my professor about this in class and he said we only need to use the equation [tex]y=y_0+(x-x_0)*tan(\theta)-\frac {1}{2}g (\frac {x-x_0}{v_0*cos(\theta)})^2[/tex] Once.
    He said that we need to put [tex]v_0[/tex] in terms of [tex]\theta[/tex]. and find a [tex]\theta[/tex] that would give a minimum value of [tex]v_0[/tex].
    [tex]v_0=sqareroot((\frac{.5*g*x^2}{x*tan(\theta)(cos^2(\theta))}))[/tex]
    using the (795,0) and [tex]x_0 = y_0 = 0[/tex]
    I was trying this but I dont recall how to find an angle that would give a minimum value. Can you offer any help regarding this ?
    Thanks

7. Jan 20, 2005 #6
    Thanks for your help, I found the answer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?