Projectile Motion Problem: Finding Horizontal Position at a Given Height

In summary: So b^2 - 4ac = (4sin(42))^2 - 4*(-4.9)*(-3) = 16.8.In summary, a projectile at a time t is measured to have a height of 12 m above the ground, a velocity of 4 m/s, and an angle of 42 degrees with respect to the horizontal. To find the horizontal positions where the particle is at a height of 3/4 of its initial height, we can use the equations x = x0 + V0xt and y = y0 + V0yt - 1/2gt^2
RjD12

Homework Statement

At a time t, a projectile is measured to have a height Y = 12 m above the ground and a velocity v = 4 m/s at an angle (theta) = 42 with respect to to the horizontal. At what horizontal positions is the particle at a height 3/4 Y ?

Height= 12 m
Velocity= 4 m/s
Angle= 42 degrees

Homework Equations

I believe both the range equation x= x0 + V0xt and y= y0 + V0yt - (1/2)gt2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to to use the second equation, but I had trouble with time since it was not given. I used 4sin(42) for V0y, but I don't think it helped me much.

This should be simple, I can tell, but I am just stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track with your attempt but you need to find a relationship between the two equations. (HINT: What do the x position and Y position equations have in common)

They both have initial velocities, and those can be figured out using the velocity given and the angle. X0 would be 4cos(42) and Y0 would be 4sin(42).

Am I getting any closer?

Think variable. Both functions are dependant on time.

Would I have to set them equal to each other by solving for time? I know that the time is the same for both directions.

I also recently tried using the quadratic formula with my Y equation, but I end up getting a negative under the radical. I am not sure why.

Remember that the generic quadratic eq is ax^2+bx+c. You should get a positive number

If I use y= y0 + V0yt - (0.5)gt2

I get

12= 0 + 4sin(42)t-(9.8/2)t2

In the general equation form, it is:

-4.9t2+4sin(42)-12

Unless this is incorrect, my answer is negative under the radical.

y_0 is 12 not zero. Y should be 3/4

So what would be the final Y position? It seems like since it is in motion, it would start at zero.

RjD12 said:

Homework Statement

At a time t, a projectile is measured to have a height Y = 12 m above the ground and a velocity v = 4 m/s at an angle (theta) = 42 with respect to to the horizontal. At what horizontal positions is the particle at a height 3/4 Y ?

Height= 12 m
Velocity= 4 m/s
Angle= 42 degrees

From the problem we can assume that at t=0 the Y position is 12m. The last line ask us to solve from is 3/4 of Y or 0.75*12. Thus your equation for Y should look as follows:
0.75 *12 = 12 + 4* sin(42)*t - 9.8/2*t^2

Okay. Yes, that looks like what I have after fixing it. I must be creating some sort of error in my calculations then, because I plugged the equation : -4.9t2 + 4sin(42)*t +3 into a graphing calculator, and there is indeed a positive value.

It is odd. Using the quadratic formula, underneath the radical, which is sqrt(b^2-4ac),
b^2= (4sin(42))^2, but 4ac is a bigger number, being : 4 (-4.9)(3)= 58.8.

I might just be doing something wrong I suppose.

You are forgetting you negative sign. A = -9.8

1. What is projectile motion problem?

Projectile motion problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. It is called a problem because it requires the use of mathematical equations and principles to solve.

2. What are the key components of projectile motion problem?

The key components of projectile motion problem are the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time it takes for the object to reach its highest point and return to its initial height.

3. How do you solve a projectile motion problem?

To solve a projectile motion problem, you need to use the equations of motion, such as the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration, and plug in the given values for the initial velocity, angle of launch, and time. You also need to consider the direction of the motion, as well as the effects of air resistance.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components in projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion refers to the motion of the object in the x-direction, while the vertical component refers to the motion in the y-direction. The horizontal component remains constant throughout the motion, while the vertical component is affected by the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does the angle of launch affect the range of a projectile?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on the range of a projectile. The maximum range is achieved when the object is launched at an angle of 45 degrees. If the angle is increased or decreased, the range will decrease. This is because a higher angle results in a shorter horizontal distance covered by the object, while a lower angle results in a shorter vertical distance covered.