What are the steps to solving a projectile motion problem?

In summary, the ball is thrown at a speed of 22.2 m/s at an angle of 44.4° and leaves the thrower's hand at a height of 1.88 m. To find the time the ball is in the air, the equation Vf² = Vi² + 2a * Δy was used, resulting in a maximum height of 2.672475824 m. To find the time, the equation Δy = Vi * t + 1/2 a * t² was used. The ball will hit the ground at a distance of 15.86129349 m from the thrower's initial position.
CollegeStudent

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown at a speed of 22.2 m/s at an angle of 44.4° on to a flat level field. The ball leaves the thrower’s hand at a height of 1.88 m. (a) How long is the ball in the air, (b) how far from where the thrower stands does it hit the ground, and (c) what is the magnitude and direction of the balls velocity the instant before it strikes the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well first thing i did was break the projectile into it's horizontal and vertical components

22.2cos44.4 = 15.86129349
22.2sin44.4 = 15.53252616

so

(a) How long is the ball in the air

I used

Vf² = Vi² + 2a * Δy
we want Δy so

Δy = (Vf² - Vi²) / 2a

we know the ball starts 1.88m up so

y = ((Vf² - Vi²) / 2a) + 1.88

y = ((0 - 15.53252616²)/2(-9.8)) + 1.88

this came to 2.672475824

this is the max height it reaches

after this...I'm kind of stuck...I believe now i would use

Δy = Vi * t + 1/2 a * t²

to solve for t?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that would be correct. What is Vi, assuming the ball is at the max height?

Note you could have used that formula from the beginning. You know that the ball has to drop MINUS its original height to strike the ground, so MINUS height is the LHS side of the equation.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object is projected into the air and experiences motion only under the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle of projection, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can decrease the range of a projectile and change the shape of its trajectory. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion and slows it down.

5. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion is when the initial velocity is parallel to the ground, while vertical projectile motion is when the initial velocity is perpendicular to the ground. In both cases, the object experiences motion only under the force of gravity.