1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion problem

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Points P and Q are in the same horizontal plane at a distance d metres apart. A projectile is shot from P in the vertical plane through PQ towards Q with a speed v m/s at an angle θ. Simultaneously another particle is shot from Q in the same vertical plane towards P with a speed of 2m/s at an angle of elevation α .

Find an expression for the distance between the two particles when one is vertically above the other one and hence prove that they collide if [itex] sin \alpha = \frac{1}{2} sin\theta.[/itex]

If [itex]\theta= \frac{1}{3}\pi [/itex] prove that they collide at a point above the level of PQ if...
    [tex]v^2 > \frac{gd(\sqrt{13}-1)}{6\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

equations of motion

3. The attempt at a solution

I just don't know how to approach this one at all. I don't want to just be given the answer, just some advice or help in how to approach the problem and any assumptions would be very very much appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2013 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

I cannot understand the setup. Is PQ the line joining P and Q ? Also, if P and Q are in a horizontal plane, how can P or Q be vertically above the other ?

4. Oct 2, 2013 #3
    I think that's what it means when it says PQ - being the line/distance joining the two. And, sorry about the second bit that was my fault copying the question down; P and Q are points on the plane, its the particles that are fired from P and Q that are/will be above each other.

Thanks

5. Oct 2, 2013 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

OK. You can find the the time when the projectiles are above each other by solving xP=xQ where

xP= vt cos(θ) and xQ= d-vt cos(α)

Does this help ?

[edit] I made a mistake, I've corrected it.

6. Oct 2, 2013 #5
    Thanks, isn't the x cordinate of a projectile in this situation generally speed*t as in [itex]v\cos(\theta) t[/itex] though?

If i set them both to equal each other though I would get stuck as there is nothing I can do to manipulate it, is there?

[tex]v\cos(\theta)=d-v\cos(\alpha)[/tex]

7. Oct 2, 2013 #6

Mentz114

Gold Member

I'm sorry you got caught by my mistake. I've edited my post so you can find the time now, and plug it into the equations for y to get the heights.

You get the time from ##vt\cos(\theta)=d-vt\cos(\alpha)##

8. Oct 2, 2013 #7
    OK thank you.

I am stuck with the algebra side of it then I think as I cannot see how to extract t from that. Plus not knowing either of the angles is confusing the hell out of me, I suppose if t is found then the alpha angle could be found as it states the speed for that one (2m/s).

9. Oct 2, 2013 #8

Mentz114

Gold Member

The value of t when the projectiles are at the same x is

##vt\cos(\theta)=d-2t\cos(\alpha)\ \ \rightarrow\ vt\cos(\theta)+2t\cos(\alpha)=d\ \ \rightarrow t_s=\frac{d}{v\cos(\theta)+2\cos(\alpha)}##

The y values are

##y_P=vt\sin(\theta),\ y_Q=2t\sin(\alpha)## put ##t_s## into these and then subtract them.
    corrected in my next post

You need to do the algebra.

10. Oct 2, 2013 #9
    Thanks for your help. :)

With the y values, doesn't gravity need to be accounted for?

11. Oct 2, 2013 #10

Mentz114

Gold Member

Yes. Sorry I'm making a lot of mistakes. The y equations (assuming that the initial height is 0) are

##y_P=\int(v\sin(\theta)-gt) dt=vt\sin(\theta)-(1/2)gt^2## and ##y_Q=\int(2\sin(\alpha)-gt)dt=2t\sin(\alpha)-(1/2)gt^2##

So the difference in height is ##vt\sin(\theta)-2t\sin(\alpha)## and the Y-values are equal (for t>0) only if ##v\sin\left( \theta\right) \,=2\,\sin\left( \alpha\right)## which is *not* what is given for this condition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted