Projectile Motion Problem: Solving for Time and Velocity | Homework Help

In summary: For a), I tried to find t first, which is equal to √(2R/g). Then, I put t = √(2R/g) into the equation R+x = vt, and I found out that v = (R+x)/√(2R/g), is that correct?For b), is the answer (R+x)?Yes, that's all correct, but you don't know what x is!
david1111

Homework Statement

j19219Q1n179.png

Homework Equations

R = 1/2 gt^2
R+x = vt

The Attempt at a Solution

For a), I tried to find t first, which is equal to √(2R/g). Then, I put t = √(2R/g) into the equation R+x = vt, and I found out that v = (R+x)/√(2R/g), is that correct?

For b), is the answer (R+x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
hint: for the ball to reach the ground without hitting the rock, the condition is that the y-coordinate of ball should be greater than a certain height.

placing the origin at the center of sphere, ##R^2=x^2+y^2##
##(x,y)## are coordinates on the surface of hemisphere

use kinematic equation to determine the height of ball at each instant and replace ##t## from the equation.

taking ##x## as common coordinate, relate:

height ≥ ##y##

this is sufficient to solve the question. Try it.
P.S. My ##x## is different than the one asked!

hi david1111! :smile:
david1111 said:
For a), I tried to find t first, which is equal to √(2R/g). Then, I put t = √(2R/g) into the equation R+x = vt, and I found out that v = (R+x)/√(2R/g), is that correct?

For b), is the answer (R+x)?

yes, that's all correct, but you don't know what x is!

hint: what is the value of the centripetal acceleration? :wink:

Centripetal acceleration= v^2 / R? But, how to relate it and x?

what is the value of it?

(you can find the value without knowing the speed)

Hi david1111,

NihalSh and tiny-tim have offered two quite different methods. T-T's is easier but requires the assumption that if it is going to hit the rock again it will do so immediately. That can be justified by thinking about how the curvature changes in a parabola, but NihalSh's method avoids this. It would be quite instructive to do both.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched or thrown and moves through the air under the force of gravity.

2. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile determined?

The trajectory of a projectile is determined by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. It follows a parabolic path due to the influence of gravity.

4. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (v0^2 * sin2θ)/g, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and altering its trajectory. It can be taken into account by using a drag coefficient in calculations.