Projectile motion of skateboarder problem

In summary, the problem involves a skateboarder moving at 6.60 m/s along a horizontal section of a track that is slanted upward by θ = 48.0° above the horizontal at its end. The skateboarder follows the characteristic path of projectile motion after leaving the track. Ignoring friction and air resistance, the task is to find the maximum height H to which she rises above the end of the track. The solution involves finding the launch speed of the skateboarder as she reaches the top of the ramp, taking into account the ramp's height and the vertical component of the velocity.
Erenjaeger

Homework Statement

The drawing shows a skateboarder moving at 6.60 m/s along a horizontal section of a track that is slanted upward by θ = 48.0° above the horizontal at its end, which is 0.700 m above the ground. When she leaves the track, she follows the characteristic path of projectile motion. Ignoring friction and air resistance, find the maximum heightH to which she rises above the end of the track.

pic:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd...._=1470375341_7e696449468e4fc14a732118b9cd1b46
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t34.0-12/13933151_1069671526445955_1581744661_n.png?oh=c77ec7fc191304680811f97a0b612d82&oe=57A35803&__gda__=1470375341_7e696449468e4fc14a732118b9cd1b46

Homework Equations

xf=xo+vot+1/2at2
t=d/v
R=vo2/g sin2θ

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the top parabola as its own projectile and tried to solve as if there was no ramp or anything, just that projectile.
I used that kinematic formula for the Y direction by going yf=yo+voyt+1/2gt2
I found the time to put in the equation by going t=d/vy and d is equal to the range/2 since we want the highest point the vy came from going 6.6sinθ (θ=48°) to get the vertical component of the velocity and found the distance by plugging the numbers into the range formula and dividing by 2
so R=5.072/9.8sin96 and that was 4.372m so divide that by 2 to get 2.186m
so now t=2.186/5.07= 0.43
yf=0+5.07⋅0.43+1/2⋅9.8⋅0.432 = 3.086m
Can anyone see anything wrong with this? because it took me a few goes to get to this stage and on my assignment where I am submitting this answer we get 5 attempts and I've used 4 attempts to get to this stage haha, any help is good.

Physics news on Phys.org
Erenjaeger said:
3. The Attempt at a Solution
I took the top parabola as its own projectile and tried to solve as if there was no ramp or anything, just that projectile.
I used that kinematic formula for the Y direction by going yf=yo+voyt+1/2gt2
I found the time to put in the equation by going t=d/vy and d is equal to the range/2 since we want the highest point the vy came from going 6.6sinθ (θ=48°) to get the vertical component of the velocity and found the distance by plugging the numbers into the range formula and dividing by 2
so R=5.072/9.8sin96 and that was 4.372m so divide that by 2 to get 2.186m
so now t=2.186/5.07= 0.43
yf=0+5.07⋅0.43+1/2⋅9.8⋅0.432 = 3.086m

why do you take t=d/ v of y direction? if y is vertical direction then it will come to v =0 after a time t so 0= v(y) - gt and acceleration is -g.
one should get H nearly 0.76 m above the point of leaving the ramp.

if v is the velocity of projection from the ramp then v. sin (theta) is the vertical velocity and H= (v sin(theta))^2 /2.g using the relation of final velocity and the height H with initial vertical velocity.

drvrm said:
why do you take t=d/ v of y direction? if y is vertical direction then it will come to v =0 after a time t so 0= v(y) - gt and acceleration is -g.
one should get H nearly 0.76 m above the point of leaving the ramp.

if v is the velocity of projection from the ramp then v. sin (theta) is the vertical velocity and H= (v sin(theta))^2 /2.g using the relation of final velocity and the height H with initial vertical velocity.
so then the hight it reaches is 1.31m by using H= (v sin(theta))^2 /2.g assuming that 2.g is meant to be 2 times g? and would it be 1.31above the ramp or would you need to subtract the height of the ramp?

Erenjaeger said:
I took the top parabola as its own projectile and tried to solve as if there was no ramp or anything,

You can't neglect the ramp. She slows down while going up the ramp.

@Erenjaeger : Can you show us details of your calculation to determine the speed of the skateboarder as she just reaches the top of the ramp (her "launch" speed)? What information are you given about that portion of the skateboarder's trajectory that might help you decide on the what approach to take?

1. What is projectile motion and how does it relate to skateboarding?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves under the force of gravity alone. In skateboarding, this can occur when a skateboarder performs a jump or a trick that involves being airborne for a period of time.

2. What factors affect the projectile motion of a skateboarder?

The factors that affect the projectile motion of a skateboarder include the initial velocity of the skateboarder, the angle at which they launch themselves, air resistance, and the force of gravity. The shape and size of the skateboarder's body can also play a role.

3. How can we calculate the trajectory of a skateboarder in projectile motion?

To calculate the trajectory of a skateboarder in projectile motion, we can use the equations of motion and Newton's laws of motion. This involves breaking down the motion into horizontal and vertical components and using kinematic equations to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the skateboarder at different points in time.

4. How does the skateboarder's trajectory change if they perform a trick while in the air?

If the skateboarder performs a trick while in the air, their trajectory will be altered due to the changes in their body position and the forces acting on them. This can affect their initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance, resulting in a different trajectory compared to a simple jump.

5. How can understanding projectile motion help improve skateboarding skills?

Understanding projectile motion can help improve skateboarding skills by allowing skateboarders to better predict and control their movements while in the air. By knowing how different factors affect their trajectory, they can adjust their technique and body position to achieve more precise and impressive jumps and tricks.