Master Projectile Motion Problems with Expert Tips and Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving projectile motion and how to solve for the initial velocity (v0) and other variables using various formulas and the 3-4-5 triangle. The final solution involves four equations and four unknowns.
ricky23i
Can someone tell me how to do this problem? I know 16. is A, 17 is E? 3rd pick is of what i have done not even sure if right.

Attachments

• IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 410
  • IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 375
  • 68FWNGmvs-1E9grZ7kNu.jpg
    68FWNGmvs-1E9grZ7kNu.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
horizontal velocity is constant = [itex]v_{x}=v_0 cos(53°)[/itex]
horizontal distance covered at any time [itex]t[/itex] is [itex]S_x = v_{x}× t = v_0 cos(53°)×t[/itex]
which gives time to cover [itex]S_x( = 25) = \frac{25}{v_0 cos(53°)} =t [/itex]
initial vertical velocity [itex]v_y = v_0 sin(53°)[/itex]
vertical distance traveled [itex] 12 = v_0 sin(53°) ×t - \frac{1}{2} gt^2[/itex]
substituting the value of [itex]t[/itex] and simplifying we get

[itex] v_0 = \sqrt {\frac{g×25^2}{2(25 tan(53°)-12) cos^2(53°)}}≈20 m/s[/itex] [taking g = 9.8m/s^2]

so [itex]v_x = 20 × cos(53°) ≈ 12 m/s [/itex]
etc...
you can do the rest with all the formulas

ricky23i said:
Can someone tell me how to do this problem? I know 16. is A, 17 is E? 3rd pick is of what i have done not even sure if right.

You found out ,

T= 25/vox

vox = 14

Are you asking 18 , 19 , ...22.

For 18 :

You are to find voy

Putting vox = 14 in T= 25/vox , find numerical value of T. Then putting formula of time of flight in a projectile you can solve for vo. Then you can find voy.

Other approach is that
vocosθ= 14
vosinθ=z
On dividing ,
cotθ = 14/z
solve for z...

Last edited:
spot the 3-4-5 triangle ;)

given initial and final displacements:
yi=xi=0; yf=12m; xf=25m

from the 3-4-5 triangle:
3v0y=4v0x ...1

time of flight
T = 25/v0x ...2

12 = v0yT - gT2/2 ...3

three equations, three unknowns.

One more equation comes from the slope of the vy vs t graph.

I would like to provide some tips and solutions for mastering projectile motion problems. Firstly, it is important to understand the basic principles of projectile motion, such as the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in both the x and y directions. It is also helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and identify the initial and final positions, as well as the initial and final velocities.

To solve the specific problem mentioned, it is important to carefully read the question and identify the given information. From the given information, we can determine that the answer to 16 is A and the answer to 17 is E. It is important to double-check your calculations and make sure they align with the given answer choices.

As for the 3rd pick, it is not clear what you have done or what the question is asking for. If you are unsure of your solution, it is always helpful to ask for clarification or seek assistance from a teacher or tutor. It is also important to practice and work through various types of projectile motion problems to improve your understanding and problem-solving skills.

In summary, mastering projectile motion problems requires a solid understanding of the principles and equations involved, as well as careful analysis and practice. I hope these tips and solutions will help you in your future problem-solving endeavors.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air, and then moves under the influence of gravity alone.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

3. How is the path of a projectile determined?

The path of a projectile is determined by its initial velocity and the force of gravity. As the object moves, it follows a curved path called a parabola.

4. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the formula range = (initial velocity * sin(2 * angle of launch)) / gravitational acceleration.

5. What is the difference between maximum height and maximum range in projectile motion?

The maximum height is the highest point reached by the projectile, while the maximum range is the furthest horizontal distance the projectile travels. They occur at different points in the trajectory and are affected by different factors.