Projectile Motion: Solving for Meeting Point of Projectile and Falling Object

In summary, the projectile will always meet the falling object, regardless of the range or initial speed.
yoniwei

Homework Statement

Prove mathematically that regardless of the range and initial speed, a projectile and a falling object will always meet.

Homework Equations

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, d = vi t + 1/2 at^2, d = vt.. etc basic constant velocity and acceleration formulas.

The Attempt at a Solution

this question followed one with specific information given (which I was able to easily solve) and I know how to explain the answer in words; a projectile is under the same force of gravity as th e falling object, so after a certain amount of time the horizontal component of speed will meet up with the falling object, obviously if there is less distance and/or a higher horizontal speed this will occur quicker, but how do I show this conclusion using mathematical formulas?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are in the frame of reference of the falling object, and it is aimed at you and is fired at the moment you drop, then it will strike you straight away, because you and the projectile are moving together. From your point of view it will be traveling straight at you the whole way.

LowlyPion said:
If you are in the frame of reference of the falling object, and it is aimed at you and is fired at the moment you drop, then it will strike you straight away, because you and the projectile are moving together. From your point of view it will be traveling straight at you the whole way.

I understand the concept in words but I can't come up with a mathematical equation to prove it. Do I just draw a graph to show that the vertical components are the same and that the amount of times it takes to reach the object is just the horizontal component calculated via d = vt?

You can note that in the accelerating frame of reference of the object/projectile world there is no net acceleration on either relative to the other.

You know the time to fall is given by Height = 1/2*g*t2
And the distance is D

So long as the projectile has a V greater than the D/t then it should strike before the ground intervenes to interrupt things.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. This motion can be described by the object's initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

What is the formula for calculating the range of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the range (horizontal distance traveled) of a projectile is: R = (v^2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object's velocity and changing its trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force opposing the object's motion through the air.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion refers to the distance traveled in the x-axis, while the vertical component refers to the distance traveled in the y-axis. The horizontal component of motion remains constant, while the vertical component is affected by gravity.

How is the angle of launch related to the maximum height of a projectile?

The angle of launch affects the maximum height of a projectile because the higher the angle, the greater the vertical component of the object's velocity. This results in a higher maximum height. The maximum height is reached when the vertical velocity is 0, and the object begins to fall back to the ground.