1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion question

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Help with projectile motion please?
    A particle is at an elevation of 1.02m from the floor when it takes off. It reaches a max height of 1.85m above the floor and stops at .930m above the floor. How do you find the time of flight, the take off angle, the initial vertical and horizontal velocity?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to start this without a given angle. Can someone explain this concept to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

All the info given is vertical. So I don't see any way to address any horizontal or angle of launch issues.

For the time, you can figure that by relating distance gravity and time.

Here are some equations:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

4. Feb 26, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

No horizontal information is given, so the horizontal velocity could be anything!
    The vertical part can be worked out with the usual formulas V = Vi + at and d = di + Vi*t + .5*a*t^2 for accelerated motion. Or even more easily with that formula that has no t in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook