Projectile Motion Help: Finding Time, Angle, and Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving projectile motion and asks for help in finding the time of flight, take off angle, and initial vertical and horizontal velocity. The given information is only vertical, making it difficult to address any horizontal or angle of launch issues. Some equations and formulas are suggested for solving the problem.
pberardi

Homework Statement

Help with projectile motion please?
A particle is at an elevation of 1.02m from the floor when it takes off. It reaches a max height of 1.85m above the floor and stops at .930m above the floor. How do you find the time of flight, the take off angle, the initial vertical and horizontal velocity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start this without a given angle. Can someone explain this concept to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
pberardi said:
A particle is at an elevation of 1.02m from the floor when it takes off. It reaches a max height of 1.85m above the floor and stops at .930m above the floor. How do you find the time of flight, the take off angle, the initial vertical and horizontal velocity?

I have no idea how to start this without a given angle. Can someone explain this concept to me?

All the info given is vertical. So I don't see any way to address any horizontal or angle of launch issues.

For the time, you can figure that by relating distance gravity and time.

Here are some equations:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

No horizontal information is given, so the horizontal velocity could be anything!
The vertical part can be worked out with the usual formulas V = Vi + at and d = di + Vi*t + .5*a*t^2 for accelerated motion. Or even more easily with that formula that has no t in it.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravitational force.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion and considering the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the horizontal and vertical components of a projectile's motion be separated?

Yes, the horizontal and vertical components of a projectile's motion can be separated and analyzed independently using the equations of motion.

5. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile is determined by the initial velocity and angle of launch. It can be calculated using the equation h = (v^2*sin^2(theta))/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.